is bak pak working properly

officerricv

i have a cpr bak pak 2r, i have started to cycle 60 lbs of fiji on saturday. should my collection cup be filling pretty quick? i have very minimal waste in it. i figured adding the rock would create alot of waste. is it because the rock is cured?

stumpdog

"From what I've read" this is how I am going to start out all my things ;) Your skimmer is probably running fine. Cured rock doesn't have a great deal of extra junk on it. That is why it is cured. If it were uncured rock I bet you would notice a difference.
Jeremy

the claw

I'm not familiar with that skimmer, but don't be afraid to play with it a little. fine tweeking of the airflow could create more stuff in your cup. If you overtweek, then too much water will come in and then you get to tweek some more. Thats part of the fun.

broomer5

You probably don't have much dissolved organic wastes in the tankwater yet for the skimmer to skim. It's only been a couple days now.
Are you getting much foam on top of the bubble chamber yet ?
Probably not - but in time you'll see foam starting to rise up the collection cup.
May take days/weeks for this to happen.

i have a bak pak 2 and iit didnt get any waste for 5 days. I turned my power head on the filter to full power and more waste started collecting. Hope this helps

marvida

I really like my 2R. I never need to adjust it. The pump does need to be cleaned periodically. It does take a few days to start producing. Adjust it to completely fill the first chamber with bubbles, keep the base of the collection cup about 1/8" below the water surface & most importantly, lose the return chamber sponge. This will clog & things will get wet. Micro bubbles should disappear within a couple of days also. That said, my 2R is equipted with the combo top skimmer/bubble trap. I don't know how much of a problems bubbles might be without the trap.
Ken