is continuous carbon use neccessary???

salt monger

ok, tank is 75 gallon, stocking list is kinda high, in my profile, i have an aqua clear 110 hob and a fluval 405. i have a venturi knockoff skimmer that i feel is quite adequit. i do a 15% water change weekly, do i need to run carbon continuously? i see some people say that they run it occasionially just to polish up the water, does that mean 1 day out of the week? or like 4 days out of the month? i have used carbon (lots of it, the more the better, or so i thought) since i started with fishtanks, 6 years freshwater, and now 9 months saltwater, and so not using it constantly goes against everything i've taught myself.... can someone with experience please advise.... thanks in advance

T

tizzo

I use carbon to polish the tank, but there is no schedule. When I look through the side across all 4 feet of water if it has the slightest haze, I run carbon.
It is controversial whether running it 24/7 is beneficial or not. Some people say that the carbon can only adsorb so much then it starts releasing everything back into the water, which would make running it useless alltogether. Some say it pulls beneficial stuff out of the water.
I personally see it as a mehanical filtration, and there is really no point in running it 24/7.

reefnut

I agree with Tizzo... in the past I have ran carbon 24/7, once a month & never. Now I'll run carbon every once in a while when the water needs polished.

ninjamini

it can also trap deturus and cause a nitrate issue. You have to run it on a monthly basis.
Why not run it for a time and then take it out. Then watch for changes. It cant hurt.

maxalmon

Correct me if I'm wrong....Can't remember who posted this or where I read about it. But isn't carbon only good for 24-48 hours when used in saltwater and then it's done? I've mentioned this before but I can't remember the details.

peckhead

Originally Posted by maxalmon
Correct me if I'm wrong....Can't remember who posted this or where I read about it. But isn't carbon only good for 24-48 hours when used in saltwater and then it's done? I've mentioned this before but I can't remember the details.
i read that somewhere too and i had some chemi pure that i bought for 15$ each and i used it for 24 hours then threw it out...i wish i didnt now though because after i did that i have never heard of the 24 hour rule. :-/