Is he flipping me off?

gilpil

My CC starfish climbs to the top of the tank and hangs one arm back against the surface of the water. Why does he do this?

jimmy g

Yes, Hes Flipping you off.....j/k , They all to that, I dont know the reason though....Maybe someone here can help.

ophiura

It is a common behavior. Hard to say this means that "want" to be fed and have learned to do this...more likely it might be going after stuff on the surface of the water or something...but many people due take the opportunity to feed it at this time and usually that seems to take care of the bahavior.

gilpil

I do not mind that he does it, but I was just wondering why. My guess was that the water is mor oxygen rich at the surface, so the starfish would get as close as possible to the surface, meaning he would have to bend an arm back

thedraven

I have read that certain stars (like the blue linkia) do this "arm waving" technique to catch microbes floating in the water. I know my orange linkia did this on occassion, and Im still not completely sure why. There doesnt seem to be as much info on starfish as other marine animals.

gilpil

Well, anyway, I think its kind of neat. People always seem to think its cool when they come over.

bergamer

i have an orange linkia, but he has never done anything like that, but if he does some people said it gives them a chance to feed them something, what would be that something?

steveoutla

Just take a little piece of shrimp and put it on his arm. It is really interesing to watch them eat. My Chocolate Chips do it all the time so I usually give them a piece of Krill or a Shrimp pellet.

ophiura

Originally posted by bergamer
i have an orange linkia, but he has never done anything like that, but if he does some people said it gives them a chance to feed them something, what would be that something?

Linckia only very rarely take to spot feeding. You must have a large mature tank with lots of live rock. Some will eat, but it is not something to rely on.

gilpil

My CC star gets a variety of shrimp, scallops, tuna, and clams. I rotate them. You wouldn't want to eat raisin bran for breakfast for the rest of your life would you?

lefty

Tell that to my dogs--they've been eating the same milk bones since they were born (11 years ago) and they still beg for them like they're the greatest thing ever!

erock

My Chocolate Chip Star, Cookie Monster, does this all the time. When i see him at the top i just drop a shrimp pellet as close to his mouth as i can. U can see him eating it. Cookies for the Cookie Monster!