Is it dead

If it's not dead then it's probably dying. What kind of lighting do you have in your tank? How long have you had it? How long has it been non-responsive?

bellanavis

I have MH lights, and I got it about a week ago, and ever since I got it, about 2 days later, it started being like this. Everything else in the tank is ok, and the levels are alright.

bellanavis

My tank has been set up for over a year, I can't remember how much for sure, but over a year for sure.
It does not smell, not yet at least.
Its base is on the sand, and I put it on the rock, and it hangs on, then it moves to the sand.
It still closes up when we touch it, or when my clown touches it.
Thanks for all the halp, if anyone else knows what to do, thanks in advance.
Nichole

T

thomas712

Originally posted by BellaNavis
I have MH lights, and I got it about a week ago, and ever since I got it, about 2 days later, it started being like this. Everything else in the tank is ok, and the levels are alright.

The question here should be did you put the anemone in under a full schedual of metal halide lighting?
How does that differ from the tank it came from? if you know.
Is the foot of the anemone torn or damaged, kind of looks like it.
Keep close eye on it, but don't count it out yet. You may need to shade it from those MH if it came from a vastly different tank, or reduce your lighting for a while and gradually increase.
Thomas

bellanavis

Yes, I guess it is under a full schedule of MH lighting, my lights are on for 6 hours. I have had other purple long tip anemones that were fine under this lighting, so I did not think twice about it being too much lighting.
That picture is upside down, and sideways, I had to flip it all weird ways to crop it small enough to fit on the website. That hole in the middle is the mouth, not the foot, the foot is on the sand, and I can't see any tears or rips in it.
The tank at the pet store it came from was about 20 gallons, and had like 6 or 7 huge purple long tip anemones in it, the one I got, the one in the picture, was stuck to the glass when I got it, and the lights were on there. We were there for about 3 hours, and the MH lights were on the whole time.
That should answer the questions so far, any more that might be able to help this poor anemone out, just ask, and I will be more then happy to answer them.
Just to make sure. so far I should try sheilding it from the light to see if that helps, so far?
Thanks,
Nikki

T

tizzo

My MH's run for 10 hours a day and vho's for 12. But I only have 150's. I don't think 4 hours would be enough in the long run. But I also don't think that your lack of light would cause this thing to deteriorate this quickly.. I don't know for sure, I'm just throwing that out there as a suggestion. I tried to get a pic of mine while he was all deflated due to poopage. While he does this often... he reinflates pretty quick afterwards. If yours has been like this since you originally posted this, then I don't think it looks too good for him.
Mine had actually shriveled down even further than this. But like I said, he reinflated pretty quick.

bellanavis

It is a purple long trntacle, or so I was told it was. I am not sure what kind of Mh lights they are, but there are 3 of them, and it keeps our corals alive with only 4 hours. Today when I came downstairs, the anemone is upside down, I think it might now be dead?
Nichole