is it normal for tuxedo urchin to shed spines??

relaxn79

:help:
I got a cool looking dark blue or black tuxedo urchin. Today I noticed that some spines were laying on the sand bed. He looks just fine concidering that he has no eyes that I can see. But it looks dangerous that if I put my hands on the sand i could get stuck.

celacanthr

Well normal in that all urchins can do it, but it could be a sign that your urchin is stressed or has osmotic shock.

relaxn79

I didn't get stuck. It is I saw spines laying on the sand bed. All my watere is good except I have not been able to find a phosphate kit. He looks good. Travels everywhere. Oh well. Thanx.

N

n_sarno

my longspine urchin lost its spines for about a week or so and then he started growing more back and he looks wonderful now, I think it may just be the stress of a new environment, as far as the spines on the floor of the tank, they wont hurt you, I picked mine out to, just grab them from the side.. I didnt touch the tip though, but I'd imagine it wont hurt you if its not on the urchin but I could be wrong. Im just saying I didnt get hurt picking up the spines that were lost.

relaxn79

update. my tuxedo urchin has lost all his spines and is hiding in a corner all

[hr]
. I don't think he can move since it seems he moved by using his spines.
:mad:

ophiura

They do not move using their spines, but needless to say it is not healthy. It was most likely acclimation shock. What are your specific water parameters? How did you acclimate it?

murph145

yup sorry to say its guna be a goner
i had a long spine urchin once that lost its spines due to acclimation shock also now i acclimate everything slowly and ask the LFS there parameters too to see how long i have to acclimate them for

relaxn79

everything is good. zero nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, ph is 8.2 with about 450-500 calcium. 78 degrees, 1.025 salt. I do have an algea problem. I also have a small purple urchin that is doing just fine. the tuxedo was moving all around the tank for a week then slowly lost all its spines.

relaxn79

Im not sure but now the only thing left of him is an empty shell with no spikes. he is completly hollow. Crazy. and my cleaner shrimp completly disapperred. I only have a lemon peal angle, marroon clown, a chromis and a small damsel that hides. I wonder what happended to him.