Is it ok?

jjgomillion

I purchased my LR about 3 weeks ago, and a snail came on it. i tink it may be a turbo snail. it has a long thing that it sticks out of the side of it's shell. Anyways, it has not moved at all since I have had it. The long thing moves around, but the whole thing goes NOWHERE!!!!!I have also tried to move it myself but it grabs onto the LR for dear life! Also, I have tried placing food nearby to see if it will get it, nothing! Can anyone explain?

aarone

well snails dont eat regular food like fish do. they eat algae and such. Do you have a pic? Turbo snails usually move around alot, and this sounds to me like something else, since it hasnt moved in almost a month.

dreeves

Ever see a starfish in high nitrates? Does it die right away? Or does it become very sluggish and then die later on if the conditions do not improve.

jjgomillion

No I do not have any pics. However there are 3 Four Stripe Damsels in there and there were also 2Blue Damsels. They died within 12 hours of their introduction to the tank. My ammonia is at .25, still trying to get it back down. I had it at 0 but after adding my fish it peaked again. But the fish still look good. Other than that everything is good. I will look around online and see if I can find a pic of one.

jumpfrog

Sounds more like a conch if you're seeing a long tube come out. Should move from spot to spot though. Sounds like your tank is still pretty unstable. Go slow and read more.
Good Luck!

jumpfrog

Conchs are relatively safe and do a good job of eating stuff off of your sand bed and sometimes glass. Of course whelks are a different story.
Great pic Melody!

flamehawk

I'm confused...are there fish in the tank currently? If not as I suspect then don't do anything to try to get the amonia down. Let the tank re-cycle natuarally.Since you added live rock , it triggered a cycle which has to run it's course. Good luck.

bullshark

Without a picture, and your description of it 'hanging on for dear life' when you tried to move it leads me to believe it is a whelk of some sort. I wouldnt be too worried at this point. It will move, eventually. I would see if you could get it to move to the sand. Then inspect.
Good Luck.

jjgomillion

ok, thank you guys! It kinda looks like that pic all i can see of its body is the tube thing though. it is in a crevice on the rock. Can you elaborate on Whelks please? Also, yes there are 3 4stripe damsels in the tank and I just added 5 small hermit crabs today. I have had the LR in there since day 1 and the fish about 3 weeks later now they have been there for 3 weeks.