Is it possible to move a Maxima clam?

nosinut

I have a 3" blue/green Maxima clam that is attached to a rather large piece of live rock. I would like to rearrange my tank a bit and I would like to put it somewhere else, however the clam is pretty firmly attached to the rock! I didn't want to force it because I've heard of people tearing out the Bessal gland (apologies if I spelled that wrong) which will kill the clam. So is there a way I can coax the clam off the rock without hurting it?

bang guy

It possible to coax it off a rock but the process itself involves stressing it and it may not survive the stress before it detaches.

A better way is to take the rock out and physically chip the rock to release the byssal threads or cut the threads as close to the rock as possible. The clam will release new threads once it's happy with the new location.

bla403

What I do with my clams is attach them to a small piece of rock or one of the ceramic plates they mount corals on and then I can mount that wherever I want. I can move the clams to different areas easily and place them in the sand. Needed to be able to do this otherwise my lobster would figure out a way to eat them through the little hole on the bottom of their shell.