IS IT SAFE?????

pat

ok what i was thinking is.........would it be alright to put wood in the tank????? now i searched and it said that freshwater deco is not good for salt, but what i was thinking of doing is making replica pier pilings for the tank....and stacking live rubble rock up the base......it is a 200 gal.......also even though it says not to put wood deco in, i also read about people using wood to build large tanks......i also got this idea from the monterey bay aquarium so are they lying to me too????

blueberryboomer

That would be very pretty, but I think I would soak it in a tub or trash can with saltwater for a couple of weeks before adding it to the tank. It would be bennifical to add a couple powerheads for motion also. Lisa

pat

the tank isnt even up yet, im just thinking outside of the norm, since the takn is about 7 feet long and like 3 feet tall.....might as make the vertical size of the tank usefull instead of having it be a problem (lighting) anybody against it?

nacl-h2o

I like it the idea.
If I'm not mistaken thou the wood would have to be treated like the wood they use for piers or boats. I remember reading somewhere that there are saltwater critters (at least one of which was a worm of some kind) that will bore into and or eat the wood. If you treated it thou I think you would be safe.

jim672

Pat,
I'm going to go out on a limb here (no pun intended) . Although I think aesthetically it's a very appealing idea, I think , practically, it might cause you some problems. If you put the piling (for lack of a better term) in without treating it, the sw will disintegrate it in no time. If you treat it with pitch, which is what they use on dock pilings, I'd suspect even in a tank the size of the one you'll have, it may polute the water.
Jim

pat

what about using a pain brush to apply a layer of fiberglass resin???? clear, waterproof......would that mess up the tank if it was dried and cured????