Is my coralline dying? (pics)

doc308

I have been going through a cycle recently after moving an existing tank. There are so many variables that if you have any questions I'll answer what I can. Here is my basic tank info:
pH: 8.0
Temp: 74 F
Calcium: 300
Carbonate Hardness: 3.4
Magnesium: 900
Nitrates: 60 (falling)
Ammonia: .25
SG: 1.023
Load: 24 lbs live rock, 1 yellow goby, 3 nassaria snails, tons of bristleworms, a few tiny featherdusters
Here are the pictures of the coral. The white parts adjacent to the purple were previously purple, but almost overnight after the cycle they turned lighter, then white.

doc308

Thanks for the reply!
Please forgive me for not having a good grasp of what that means, but are you saying that the purple spots (which are now white) were really diatoms?

snakeblitz33

coralline is probably stressing out because:
1. Not enough light or the right spectrum.
2. Too much phosphate in the water
3. Way too much nitrate in the water
4. Alkalinity isn't high enough
5. pH isn't stable enough
6. Not enough calcium
7. Tank is not mature enough/ stable enough.
8. Not enough flow in that area.
9. Not enough available Magnesium in the water column.
Those are just my best guesses. The purple spots are not diatoms. Diatoms are little bits of live cells with brown/clear glass shells. For the most part, anything purple in the aquarium trade is a coral, sponge, piece of equipment or coralline algae.

lil.guppy

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///forum/post/2916005
coralline is probably stressing out because:
1. Not enough light or the right spectrum.
2. Too much phosphate in the water
3. Way too much nitrate in the water
4. Alkalinity isn't high enough
5. pH isn't stable enough
6. Not enough calcium
7. Tank is not mature enough/ stable enough.
8. Not enough flow in that area.
9. Not enough available Magnesium in the water column.
Those are just my best guesses. The purple spots are not diatoms. Diatoms are little bits of live cells with brown/clear glass shells. For the most part, anything purple in the aquarium trade is a coral, sponge, piece of equipment or coralline algae.
Wow carolline is sure picky!

Originally Posted by lil.guppy
http:///forum/post/2916140
Wow carolline is sure picky!

He's just saying any of those could be the causitive factor and when that many things are off it can easily affect it. Just wait until your parameters get stable, keep your calcium up around 400 or a little more and it will come back. It took 2 months for it to start back growing in mine but now it is EVERYWHERE.