Is there a book about tank / equipment?

sigmachris

So about 3 years ago I started a biocube to see if this addiction will last. Well it has so I am looking to jump into a large in wall tank. The thing is, sumps, skimmers, and plumbing are all foreign to me. Is there a book that explains all of this?
I am probably at least a year away. I am building a new home now which won't be ready until December. When I am finishing the basement the tank will be an in wall tank down there. I just want to start researching this project to come up with various plans.
Thanks in advance,
Chris

flower

Originally Posted by SigmaChris
http:///forum/post/3119394
So about 3 years ago I started a biocube to see if this addiction will last. Well it has so I am looking to jump into a large in wall tank. The thing is, sumps, skimmers, and plumbing are all foreign to me. Is there a book that explains all of this?
I am probably at least a year away. I am building a new home now which won't be ready until December. When I am finishing the basement the tank will be an in wall tank down there. I just want to start researching this project to come up with various plans.
Thanks in advance,
Chris

Just about any saltwater aquarium book will list equipment needed. Saltwater Aquariums for dummies explains in easy to understand terms better than any I have seen for a beginner.

oceansidefish

This board is a wealth of information and everyone here loves spending someone elses money on fish tanks! While planning I would start with the following....
1. How long is the wall
2. How big of a tank are you talking about
3. Are you making a "wet room" behind where it's going for all the equipment
4. Are you looking at putting in a reef tank or a FO large species tank.
I would recommend going as big as you can...Then you will really have a permanent set-up. Don't skimp on equipment in a big tank, it will be an expensive nightmare later. Also you can start purchaing things now to make it easier later.

xcali1985

If you go really big go to the LFS and see how their wet rooms are setup might get some ideas and a peak at the equipment they use. Mine was happy to show me around. If they take good care of their equipment, they will understand that starting a reef tank is a expensive investment and wont mind showing customers that they know what they are doing.

sigmachris

The wall it is going in is about 14' long. I want this to be a see through tank with my office on one side and the back wall of the basement bar on the other side.
I am thinking a tank 6' to 8' long, 3' to 4' wide and 30" deep depending on what I do with the wet room. With a 14' long wall, I can do 1 of 3 things (off the top of my head).
1) Place the tank at the end of the wall, so I can actually view it from either room and the hall, so a 3 way tank. This would leave me with a wet room of 4' wide and 6' long going with a 4' deep tank.
2) Place the tank in the center of the wall with 2 small 3'x4' wet rooms on either side on the tank with a 4' deep tank.
3) Some how get the plumbing to travel 20+ feet to the unfinished part of the basement which could be about 400 square feet. I would probably go with a 3' deep tank.
Obviously the large room is ideal, but I need to check to see if I can get the plumbing to run that distance. One of the things on the list to research before going full bore.