is there a cure for Brooklynella?

whites60

I found Beths site to be extremly informative, it answered the majority of my questions and maybe I didnt read it all but I finally found what most my fish have been dieing from
IS there anything I can do or buy t treat Brooklynella ? It just seems even if did a water change someone would still carry the virus or bacteria, any help would be mucho appreciated, thanks again..........George

elfdoctors

Brooklynella is best treated with formalin baths. The procedure is outlined in the sticky at the top of the forum.
Welcome to the Boards!

elfdoctors

YGM. You may not have seen my first e-mail so I will send a second with elfdoctors-swf.com in the subject line.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
white, take a look at the FAQ Thread at the top of this forum and post on formalin. That is the procedure to treat brooklynella.
Did you add new fish recently? What were the symptoms?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, the site that elfdoc posted has a post within on formalin bathes. That is the treatment for brooklynella. I also responded to the email you sent me.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Hyposalinity if basically effective only on ich. It works only in retarding reproduction which is not the case with brooklynella. Brooklynella requires immediate treatment or the fish will die within a matter of a few hrs to a day [from the time the hobbyist notices classic symptoms]. This basically leaves a slower procedure such as hypo out of the loop. Its a different parasite than ich.

whites60

its too late for anything now, ALL i am left with now are a red flame hawk , 2 chroms, and a six line wrasse, they all look fine except the wrasse, whom i have suspected the whole time of getting everyone sick has been acting rathe rstrange latly, he twitches, i mean he will be swimming, then stop and twitch his tail and head and then continue swimming, very weird. other than that his body looks great, Well, thank you all for your help, I must say I have learned more in the last couple days than I have in months about fish, so thanks for the knowledge. take care,,,,,,,,,George