Is this a bad idea?

emusinky

My plans to put a 29 sump under each of my 2 65 tanks won't work. The stands are not tall enough for the skimmers.
What if I hook both tanks to one sump? I have a nice space between the two I can use. Do you see a problem or would that help both tanks be more stable? Thanks for any ideas here. %%

salt life

Originally Posted by EmusinKY
http:///forum/post/3128556
My plans to put a 29 sump under each of my 2 65 tanks won't work. The stands are not tall enough for the skimmers.
What if I hook both tanks to one sump? I have a nice space between the two I can use. Do you see a problem or would that help both tanks be more stable? Thanks for any ideas here.

I hooked two 75g's up to a 30B, the only thing is you need to get the flow right or else your gonna run your sump dry, I had to add a hang on over flow to keep it balanced.

Besides flow issues, consider this, the 2 tanks now really become one as far as general water quality, Which is a double edge sword, may be alittle easier to control the quality of 130+gallons, but something wrong in one tank will affect the other, also depending on the needs of your critters in each tank you could have issues there as well.
But alot of LFS do 2 or three stock tanks on 1 filter.

emusinky

I think it's best not to take the risks. I'm a long way from hooking all this up. I'll sell these 2 29g and get some 20 or 27 longs that should give me enough clearance. Thanks for the thoughts!