Is this a bristle worm?

kjohansen

I saw this guy coming out of a rock tonight when the lunar LED lights came on. He is red with white bristles.
Here is a pic, sorry for the quality but it is as good as I can get with the LED lights on. Any bright light and the worm is right back in the rock.

If this guy is bad, how do I get rid of him?

kjohansen

That is just a small fraction of how big he is. Has not come all the way out of the rock. He is eating detritus, but I think it may be to big to keep in a 24 gallon Aquapod. The last thing I want is it harming corals or fish.

seasalt101

you might just pull that rock out and give it a 10 minute freshwater dip that will get him out, or have small torch handy and memorise where the hole is and bar b que him...tobin

Yes it is a bristle worm, and if it is red in color than it will sting the daylights out of you. DO NOT try to catch it with bare hands.
They have traps you can buy online or at your lfs. We have 3 in our tank but have been told by many people to just let them stay since they really do not hurt anything in the tank. JMO, I think they are ugly and would like to get rid of ours. Other problem fixer is buying a Arrow Crab, it will feast on him!

sooz

Red Coris Wrasse will chow down bristelworms - my friend Ryan got one to control his bristleworm infestation - the wrasse burrows down into the substrate and drags the worms out of their holes and munches them.

saltn00b

please dont tell someone with a 24 gallon tank to get a red coris. these fish can get to 10 - 12" and need tanks that are 200+ gallons in size, if not larger.

sooz

Originally Posted by saltn00b
please dont tell someone with a 24 gallon tank to get a red coris. these fish can get to 10 - 12" and need tanks that are 200+ gallons in size, if not larger.
I didn't say "get one" - i stated that they eat bristleworms and gave an example. I assume anyone buying a new fish will research if it is appropriate for their tank.

miaheatlvr

I dont mine them and they have not killed anything in my tank as off yet,, Must be by arrow crab cleaning them out! lol

1journeyman

Originally Posted by sooz
.... I assume anyone buying a new fish will research if it is appropriate for their tank.

hehe, if only...

kjohansen

Well I put the rock in FW for 15 minutes. Lots of die off of course. Did not see the worm. Looked like a small brittle star. Red in color.