Is this a brittle star?

tbrew85

First I saw tentacles protruding from several small holes in a piece of live rock. I figured it was some sort of worm so i tried to get a photo. It wasnt until I was looking at the photos on my laptop that I noticed what looks like a star. Am I correct or not and is it good or bad? The hole it is in is about 1/4 to 3/8 inch wide.

payton 350

mini brittle star....your tank is gonna have hundreds of them......they reproduce quickly and only get about 1/4 to 1/2 inch big
they are good....

reefreak29

Originally Posted by Payton 350
mini brittle star....your tank is gonna have hundreds of them......they reproduce quickly and only get about 1/4 to 1/2 inch big
they are good....
yes this is correct (brain fart)

payton 350

no i was seeing only the arm hang out and thought okay bristle worm, whys it so white though...then i saw the rest in the hole........they are neat to watch .... at night you can sometimes see their little arms come out of the rocks.......and you don't have to worry about getting
on here for having a star

azfishgal

You are so lucky! Hope I get some of those in my 100 lbs of lr coming on Wednesay.
With that much I should get at least one. :notsure:

ophiura

Yes, it is the small white five armed species of Amphipholis. It will not grow larger, but will reproduce well. Considered highly desirable

mrsgoose

Hi - I just bough a small frag of green zoos and there was a mini brittle star with it. It went right into a hole in my lr when I released it into the tank. As far as I know it's the only one I have, I've not seen any others. Will it reproduce on its own, assuming it's the only one? I have several of the other kind, asternia (sp?). Will the mini-brittle sift the sand, too?
Thanks.

marinfire1

i have probally more then 20 in a 6 gallon nanocude.... i got the LR from someone who was taking down there tank so it was already cured and there just everywhere in cracks but there good so i keep them..