is this a clove polyp of some sort?

handbanana

Thanks you both! Thats what I figured it was but was a bit excited I guess and wanted some second openions.

J

jstdv8

they look like zoas to me. I thought clove polps were long on glowing like xenia. at least the ones Ive seen were

cam78

OKAY!!! Good luck. I have been asking what that is for a LONG time. In matter of fact its still on the first page of this message board. I hope you LOVE it because it is gonna take over your tank. The stuff SUCKS!!!!! It grows all over everything and looks like diatoms in large mass because its brown. Sorry.
Oh yeah I was told its a clove polyp.

handbanana

Hey Cam, You almost seem excited. I'm new to corals so as I see it, untill I am over run with whatever this is I will see it as ok. there are only half a dozen on the rock. and if need be I'll isolate the rock. I thought yours was Xenia anyways.
Every day it seems someone told me some BS about what I have in my tank. First I get Zoas from my lfs. I was told there Zoas by a dozen people and now theyre buttons. Then its cloves, no its daiseys, No its cloves.
So now Its a rock covered with button polyps, (which look different from my other buttons, so what are those?) and some pest coral thats either daisys or cloves.
Which is Ironic because I bought a daisy frag and they look nothing alike.
It took them a few days to appear.
So I guess Its some sort of thing I should either remove or not.
Thank you all for the imput.
"buttons" and "daisy polyps"

nikesb

there are different types of daisy polyps just as there are different types of gsp. I can tell you that theyre not cloves because they're not as feathery as they should be. even babies are hella feathery, i know this from the old lightning cloves i had. dont know if im just not seeing it in the pic, but if theyre feathery, then yes they are clove polyps. i see hair on them but nothing like what i had. also the easiest way to tell is to see if the center circle is connected to the tips as seen below. that would indicate its a clove polyp

cam78

Trust me when I tell you this. Take the rock out and pull and scrub the clove, daisy or whatever it is, off. If you don't it will spread ALL over and it hides all the beautiful coraline and definition of your live rock. This is my opinion. I hate the stuff. It looks like diatoms all over because it is a dull boring brown.

cam78

Oh yeah, I go to Absolutely fish in Clifton I think it is. Or Some place in East Hanover. Don't know the name.