Is this a good lighting system?

rackyrane

I have been looking for a good lighting system. I have been reading alot, searching alot and have posted here.
Catawaba found this system for me---Current48" OuterOrbit 2X150w MetalHalide 2x130w Actinic.
Does anyone have this system? Any thoughts good or bad on it? I can pick it up for just over $600---good price I think.
Any thoughts?

rgunnell

Rackyrane,
I have the Outer Orbit 10,000K MH. Model #1042 (48"). I paid about $650 from my LFS for my 75g. Super bright light -- I really like the reflection of water throughout the tank; and on my walls. :thinking: -- moon lights are also very cool.
It runs pretty hot and may cause my to purchase a chiller. IE: My house is 74 degrees inside and tank temp runs at 82-83 degrees with light on. When PHX summer arrives, I'm hosed and will have to purchase a cooling system.
Overall, I'd buy it again. It's an awesome light and will allow a limitless reef tank which is what I want.

rackyrane

Thanks for the quick replies. I am probably going to go with the Halides on the tank I have now and add the T-5's when I decide to get the next, bigger tank!

barchtruong

I have one.
paid $596 total
very good light, really bright
only increases 1degree water temp when MHs are on for 4hrs
it sits 8" from the water surface.
your corals will love this light.
$600 is a good deal.

maxalmon

I don't like this light due to the ballast is inside the light housing, the ballast throws off an incredible amount of heat so the farther from the tank you can keep the ballast the less radient heat you direct into the tank. For the money I would go with the Coralife Aqualight PRO HQI, much better lighting setup and it has a remote ballast and it's not much more.... Plus, by not having the ballast inside the fixture the fixture itself is much lighter. If you've ever had MH's you will know how heavy the ballast are and how much heat they generate, my 3x250's ballast almost becomes to hot to touch.

barchtruong

My friend has a Coralife HQI.
It's cool too, one thing about it is that the Actinic light is so blue that when MH is not on, you see you tank as a blue tank.
Maxalmon, it depends on your tank's setting. I keep mine 8" above the water line and it sits on top of an open lid. So, there's only 4" opening around the light and I don't have any prob with over heat the tank.
I like this light because it has a clean look. No ballast sitting on the floor like Coralight.

mandarin w

The light will be fine for your tank. Just figure out a way to put the light at least 6 inches of the top of the tank. Find a fan that you can set up to blow across the top of the tank, this will help keep the heat out of your tank. Use eggcrate over the top so the tank can breath. Doing this, you really shouldn't have any issues with heat.

joncat24

search odyssea metal halide...can get that setup for $299 shipped and the newer versions are awesome..IMO

rackyrane

Thanks for the input everyone! I will make sure that I post pictures of the tank after I get the light on it. Don't laugh at my tank when you see the pictures though. I probably could have won the ugliest tank contest, hands down.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by rgunnell
Rackyrane,
When PHX summer arrives, I'm hosed and will have to purchase a cooling system.

See this is why I'm not going to get the Halides for my saltwater tank. During the summer I have to put ice (in a ziplock bag) in my freshwater tank because it gets to hot just with my normal tank light. So I'm going with the T5 and see how it works. I don't want to have to spend money on a chiller. However, I did see a very interesting picture of a guy who had a DIY chiller. It was a mini-frige with the water line entering one side and running through a coiled hose inside the frige, then it comes back out the other side. Not sure how well it cooled the water down, but it looked like it would work. :thinking:

rackyrane

Went with the MH. They are on the way now. I really liked the combination of the three lights with the timers etc. I really don't have the space for an external ballast because my next piece of equipment will be fuge--trying to decide between HOB and under the tank. So I want to keep the area under the tank clear just in case.
Thanks to you all, I feel like I have made a good decision!
Hmmm, may have to think about a chiller though.

catawaba

Originally Posted by joncat24
search odyssea metal halide...can get that setup for $299 shipped and the newer versions are awesome..IMO
$299/shipped for the full set up?
48"
560 total watts?

joncat24

like i said...search "odyssea metal halide"..The older versions had some problems and gave them a bad name but the new ones are awesome. I believe they have one now that is 48" with 720 watts for $340 shipped