Is This Black Ick?!?!

mboswell1982

whats that joe? and take into acct that these guys are in a tank that hasnt cycled yet, see his thread in the fish discussion section for that one

florida joe

I will not even get into asking why he is cycling his tank with clown fish but to answer your question hyper-melaninization is a reaction to stings from a coral or anemone. This usually poses no notable problem to the clownfish. The melanin or pigment darkens as it reacts to stings

mboswell1982

i dont believe he has any corals in his tank, so could it be that with having no corals in the tank? and he's cycling it like that cause thats what a book told him to do, weve all recommended he take the fish back to the LFS for now, til the cycle is over at least, itsjust gonna be too stressful on them, even if they do survive it

florida joe

Originally Posted by mboswell1982
http:///forum/post/2855766
i dont believe he has any corals in his tank, so could it be that with having no corals in the tank? and he's cycling it like that cause thats what a book told him to do, weve all recommended he take the fish back to the LFS for now, til the cycle is over at least, itsjust gonna be too stressful on them, even if they do survive it
Some lfs like to put their clown fish in a display tank for sale with coral adds to the appeal so he could have purchased the fish with the discoloration

shyshko08

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2855778
Some lfs like to put their clown fish in a display tank for sale with coral adds to the appeal so he could have purchased the fish with the discoloration
Thats exacly right.....from what I was told clowns are part of the damsel family and help the cycle move along faster. I test the water every morning. I feel like they will be fine but we will see. Its been running for about 2 weeks and so far I havnt noticed any changes in ammonia, nitrate or nitrite. pH levels are between 8.2 and 8.4. The water temp. is 80 degrees

mboswell1982

thats just it, it could go along just fine, no problems at all, and then spike really hard, really fast, and when it does, if it doesnt kill em outright, its gonna stress em out ridiculously bad, its just relaly hard on the fish to use them to cycle the tank, its much better to use a dead shrimp, thats what everyone on here will tell you to do.

shyshko08

Originally Posted by mboswell1982
http:///forum/post/2856005
thats just it, it could go along just fine, no problems at all, and then spike really hard, really fast, and when it does, if it doesnt kill em outright, its gonna stress em out ridiculously bad, its just relaly hard on the fish to use them to cycle the tank, its much better to use a dead shrimp, thats what everyone on here will tell you to do.
Everyone has their opinions I guess.

mantisman51

I was being facetious(?). But, yeah. In a similar manner to the way the toxic smoke would damage a humans lungs and damage a humans organs, the ammonia-nitrite-nitrate do similar things to a fishes gills and internal organs. I really try not to be a jerk, but we take these animals out of their natural habitat and they depend on us completely. I just think we owe it to them to do what we can to make their lives as good as possible. I'm no aqua-snob, butsimple things, like a pre-cycled tank, really make a difference. I almost had a stroke when a guy, on this board, said he put tap water in a brand new tank and threw 3 damsels in to cycle the tank. I would be too ashamed to do it, much less admit to it.

srgvigil

I can't find my disease classification book but this does not look like black ich. It appears to be Hyper-Melaninization as it already has been said.
Also many times on these boards people can seem harsh in there statements and what they say. Really don't take it personally many people on here just care about fish and want the best for them.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Lets just say that trying to use fish to cycle new tanks is inefficient and needlessly stressful for new fish. Better a piece or two of live rock. Or just get all the live rock you plan to get and let the tank cycle.
Any way, the clowns do have hyper-melaninization.