Is this coralline algae?

spline9

This stuff just started to sprout up on the glass in various areas. I discovered it while cleaning the glass. I just cleaned around it just incase its coralline. Should I keep it? If I scrape it off, might it grow in other areas (providing it doesnt get sucked up in the filters)?

T

tizzo

Some people say that they get more coralline in the shaded areas of their tank. Some say MH's will boost it. So... What I have noticed in MY tank is that the coralline grows in the lit areas. Until recently. Now it grows in the shaded areas also... So how does this pertain to you you ask?? All of my coralline that starts in the shade, starts green...just like your pic. Then it turns purple!!:D

spline9

Well thats good news to hear.
Whats interesting is that the pic you see... That stuff is growing on the front of the tank. I think most of what I see growing is in non-shaded areas. Shade or no shade, as long as it likes where it is and grows more is cool with me. Even better if it turns purple! :happy:

T

tizzo

Here is mine during the change... The first one is the side of my PH, The algae started off as TOTALLY green with no traces of purple.

spline9

Awesome. Looks like I'm going to have to look out for my little algaelings and make sure they dont scraped off when I'm cleaning the glass.
Thanks for the pics!

T

tizzo

Actually, don't worry about it... If it DOES get scraped off then the "pieces" will connect somewhere else, and bloom there.

spline9

I think thats how it started to spread in the first place... I opened a powerhead and found some in there. I scraped it off and let it go in the tank hoping it would spread. Looks like it did!
The only reason why I would worry about the stuff being scraped off is beause I just got a canister filter and wouldnt want it suckin the stuff up.