Is this hair algae

carter3

Tank just cycled, I have a little diatom on sand, green alage & pink corline on rocks but what is this grayish web looking stuff ? :help: unable to post pic I've tryed over and over. Water flow should be ok wet/dry 75g skimmer 65g on 55g tank. 25lbs lr 40lbs ls. any ideas, should I be concerned.

Also with the water flow I do have a wet/dry and skimmer, some time I have a lot of bubbles and some times none is this normal? the skimmer is in the sump and I can't really tell the difference when its on I just see all the bubbles in the container. The wet/dry if I put more water in the sump it will increase the bubbles again. Should I keep refilling the sump or is something wrong.

carter3

Is this bad. I noticed that something disturd the sand bed,in one of the corners like someone was playing in the sand.

carter3

I can't figure out how to post on swf.com web site I read the hint and have it in my pic but couln't figure out the rest. I had to ask my 10yr how to post

carter3

Originally Posted by reefreak29
its hard without a pic but it sound like vermatid snail
How would I remove the stuff off my rock its so ugly.

wright824

i might be able to help with you posting pic's i couldn't either but finally figured it out. first i had to open the pic on my computer with pictureit. i have 2 other programs but couldn't get the pic small enought for the boards to let me post. i don't know what you are using but if you get a message that it is too big you need to make it smaller and this was the only program i had that let me do that.
with this program, i had it saved to email and saved to send later ( i choose the 1/4 size which was its smallest). watch where you save it so you can retreive it again.
then go to the boards click on the post you want to post it to and click on the icon at the bottom to post reply...then you need to go to advanced option for your reply. at the bottom of the advanced option reply page there is a section for additional options you want to click manage attachments. when you get to that page ( a box will pop up) you will have a upload file box .. click browse and find where you saved the picture for "email later" once you found it click upload. this is where you will find out if it is too big. if it is you need to shrink it. that i can't help with. I found some programs just wont shrink them small enough if it uploads without a problem click post reply and it should be there
hope this helps, i am curious to see your pictures

carter3

sorry pic is so bad. Only have phone camara. yes I'm refering to the grey. Some one said it could be an vermetid snail but that was without the pic, so for now this is the best I can do on pic. Are sponges something to worrie about and can I remove this ugly grey with anything?

reefreak29

Originally Posted by carter3
sorry pic is so bad. Only have phone camara. yes I'm refering to the grey. Some one said it could be an vermetid snail but that was without the pic, so for now this is the best I can do on pic. Are sponges something to worrie about and can I remove this ugly grey with anything?
sponges are filter feeders they are very common in new tanks, there not bad.
most of the time they go away when the tank gets more astablished.
i dont know who would of said vermatid snails thats crazy

mterrace

If its small white "web" like stuff - it might be die-off from your LR....I am cycling my tank now and I am getting white web - almost looks like thin cotton...and I believe it is die-off. I am just lightly scrubbing the rock with a new toohbrush to clean it.

wright824

Originally Posted by carter3
Thx Wright824 now I can show pic
your welcome.
it took me a week of swearing at my computer to finally figure it out!!

hot hair algae, i have that
. been trying to get rid of it but having no luck. i really hate to have to start pulling rock out and scrubbing it. i don't want to disturbe the tank!. i don't know what to do

reefreak29

Originally Posted by wright824
your welcome.
it took me a week of swearing at my computer to finally figure it out!!

hot hair algae, i have that
. been trying to get rid of it but having no luck. i really hate to have to start pulling rock out and scrubbing it. i don't want to disturbe the tank!. i don't know what to do

can u list your lighting and water perameters , also what size tank and inhabitants including inverts , is it a reef or a fish only?

carter3

Tank 55g
nitrate 20
nitrite 0
alk 300
ph 8.4
ammonia 0
salt 1.024
temp 80
25lbs lr 20lbs dead sand 20lbs ls
3 damsels
lights came with the tank