Is this 'hair algae'?

tirtza

Hello! I'm a little over week #2 in the cycling phase, and so far my water parameters seem to be in good shape. I noticed that at the end of week #1 I had little bits of green material (it looks like grass or hair) growing out of the live sand. When I put the live sand in, it wasn't put in very evenly and the green stuff only appears to be growing where the live sand is. Is this 'hair algae' or something I should be concerned about? If not hair algae, what is it?
It's a 29 gallon biocube
Lighting schedule:
actinic (blue) 3 - 4pm (simulates 'dawn')
10 k florescent 4 - 8 pm (simulates 'day')
actinic (blue) 8-9 pm (simulates 'dusk')
LED moonlights are on constantly

tirtza

Thanks! There is also some growing on the back wall of the aquarium where there are little sand particles. Are you sure this isn't going to disrupt the cycling process?

tirtza

yep, I have live rock, live sand, and unfortunately two blue yellow tail damsels. I say 'unfortunately' because I realized after I had purchased them, that they are aggressive little fish and that regardless of what the guy at the LFS store says they shouldn't be used to cycle an aquarium.
I tried to use a gravel vac last night to get the hair algae out and it didn't work. That stuff is really fine and only about an .5 - 1 inch long. All that I mostly managed to suck out was sand and of course water. After I had siphoned out 5 gallons of water, I decided to call it quits. I didn't want to take out to much water and disturb the cycle process. I then managed to get some of it just by hand, but I'm sure it will just re-grow.
*When my tank is done cycling and I can add a clean up crew, are there any creatures that will take care of it?
*After using a gravel vac last night for the 1st time on sand (I've only used one in fresh water aquariums w/gravel), how do I keep from siphoning out the sand??? (I'm certainly not ready to clean the aquarium yet, but I'd like to know for future reference).

S

siptang

hermit crabs do a good job on those and some shrimps are good as well.
clean out what you can first then add cuc.
Tangs do a really good job but they are rather too big for your tank.
good luck!

florida joe

IMO you want to get the algae out now and all of it. Use a small cup scoop up sand and algae (take the loss of sand) and dump it.

tirtza

yikes! I took closer look, its on the rock as well....I don't think I'd be able to get it all just taking the sand out. Would a clean up crew help? I know it's early....but would it help? My water parameters are all very good. My temp. is 80 (would lowering it help as well??)

florida joe

You can try but I doubt it. In all honesty if it was my tank, and in so much as it’s only a 29g. I would take the loss. Remove everything dump the sand bleach the rock and start over. I know that may seem drastic due to some algae growth but sometimes drastic measures at the outset leads to easier times in the long run .
you can also try leaving your lights off and cover your tank so it is in total darkness to try to kill off the alage

tirtza

okay, I scooped up as much of the sand as I could that had the algae. Of course, there is no way I could have gotten it all. Here are some 'after photos'. Do you still think I should dump the sand and bleach the rock? The other alternative you gave was, keeping the lights off....how long would it take? Will it kill the live rock if I keep the lights off?

travelerjp98

I would leave the lights off for 5 days, and then you should really measure your phosphates. If they are there or high, think about a phosphate reactor.

tirtza

Should I keep the blue LED moonlights off as well? The tank is in a dimly lit room (the blinds are always closed). Should I cover the tank?

florida joe

Looks like you do a great job with the removal now as far as killing the live rock with out illumination that depends on what you consider live rock. The bacteria and critters will not mind any algae on the rock good or bad will die off and you may get an ammonia spike depending on the stage of your bio filtration. BTW you went this far I would cover the tank. Any light even dim ambient light if food for the algae

krautburner

I'd double check the phosphates,
and turn off the lights for about a week
maybe run your lights for a shorter time
(I run my MH's for about 2-3 hours in the morning, off in the middle of the day, and another 3 hours in the evening)
none of my corals seem to mind
but it seemed to have helped with algae growth
I do have a few tuffts of hair algae, would love to have some sort of critter to help take care of it

travelerjp98

If none of those options work, we'll try to incorporate any of the following into your clean up crew:
-red legged hermit crabs
-long spined urchins
-sea hares
-lettuce nudi
They are all proven helpers of the removal of hair algae... but they are a hit or miss... sometimes they eat it like crazy until there is none left and sometimes they just, well, die
Also, Lawnmower blennies are good at eating all types of algae so you could think of adding one to your stock list.

tirtza

Okay here's the plan......Please tell me what you think!
1. Keep room dark and lights off for 5 days
2. Measure phospates at the end of day 5
3. Use phospate reacter
When cycle is complete add a clean up crew that will help keep this hair algae in-check! I wish I didn't have to wait until this cycle is complete. I'm still not even sure if it is complete since my levels haven't done anything. Only a .25 ppm ammonia spike (which may or may not actually be .25ppm...it's possible I'm reading it wrong and it's actually 0. I'm taking it to the LFS for confirmation.
I think it's strange that my live rock is thriving, I'm growing hair algae, and coral for the past three weeks. I'm still waiting for the cycle I suppose!

reeferchief

Hey how is your algae problem coming along? I added a clean up crew to my tank after 2 weeks and 3 months later they are all still living for the most part. am also having an hair algae problem. I know part of my problem was because my nitrates spiked due to food and also my lights were on waaaayyyyyyy too long. about 10 hours. starting this weekend I'm going on a 6 hours/day schedule. I also bought a lawnmower blenny. I need more snails and hermits. I did get 2 emerald crabs and 2 sally light foot. Emeralds are great for detrius on corals and the SLF's eat anything on the rock.
I would like to darken the tank for a few days but I don't think this will be a good option for me due to the corals and few fish I have in there? I have also been doing 2 water changes a week 25-35%.
I think less light may help....

reeferchief

Forgot to mention I got a pair of orange spot goby's and a sand sifting starfish and my sand always looks great. that may help give you an edge on your sand problem.