Is this normal for a White bubble tip Anemone?

spanko

Not abnormal, they inflate and deflate in different ways from time to time. You just got this anemone and it is very bleached out. Probably from inadequate lighting or handling stress. Tell us about your tank, lighting, filtration etc. Have you done any up front research on keeping this animal?

swiftskater1

Yes, I have done some research on the bubble tips anemones. The guy at our fish store checked my water and knows everything about the tank. Its a basic 12 gallon instant ocean eclipse. Everything stock.

bang guy

That Anemone is supposed to be brownish with a hint of green. It will have a difficult time coming back from such a severe bleaching. I would give it less than a 1% chance of survival.
The cyanobacter in the background is not encouraging.

meowzer

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/3269943
The cyanobacter in the background is not encouraging.
+1....Does the whole tank look like that? Anemones really need tanks that are well established, have excellent water quality, and great lighting
Do you have a full tank shot?

swiftskater1

Well. i got the water tested and everything is perfect. That cyanobacter is almost gone. The rest of the tank looks nice.

spanko

Your anemone will not survive with only a Marineland Eclipse System 12 Bulb 5,000K - 13 Watt power compact bulb. This is not enough lighting to sustain the symbiotic algae that is normally living withing this animal. It is the algae that gives it the color that Bang Guy spoke of. Your fish store is misleading you here. Please do some more research on the delicate and beautiful animal.
By the way even if it did live, and I am with Bang Guy here as it does not have much of a chance, it would outgrow this tank is a very short time.

speg

Originally Posted by swiftskater1
http:///forum/post/3269937
he said it should be perfectly fine with the stuff in it.
Sorry you're finding out the hard way.. but you can't trust people at the fish store. They're trying to do everything they can to make money. It's up to us (you) to find out what is what before purchasing.
I don't mean to sound mean because that's not what I'm trying to do. I'm just saying that you're finding out the hard way, just like all of us had to do-just like I did.
The anemone is really stressed. They shouldn't be white at all and if they sold it to you as a 'white bubble tip anemone' then they're a really poor excuse for a fish store. These anemones should be brown-green-red but certainly never white.

swiftskater1

Alright. I set up a lamp next to the fish tank (extremely bright). But not facing directly at it. He immediately looked better.

speg

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3269988

Everybody has had a first time!
A regular lamp won't work... you need to use certain bulbs meant for saltwater aquarium use. Otherwise the anemone won't receive the nutrients it needs from the lighting.

spanko

Originally Posted by Speg
http:///forum/post/3269990
Everybody has had a first time!...................
Believe me Speg, I know this. I just get upset when a new reefer to be comes in saying he has done research when he obviously hasn't, then starts another thread to see if he can get different answers that meet with what he wants to hear.
swiftskater1, get a book, google anemone and read what comes up.

swiftskater1

I have. I just came on here to get some answers witch no one can answer. Im trying. I didnt know the lights would be an issue. I thought (And the fish store said) they were enough. Sorry, And thanks speg.

bang guy

Was your question only about the foot? They inflate & deflate their foot when they want to move around. A new Anemone will often crawl all over the tank looking for an ideal spot. Once a place with good water flow and excellent lighting is found it will plant its foot under a rock and begin to firmly attach.

bang guy

I wanted to add about the lighting.
Any extra lighting will help, it's the intensity that is important though. Pointing a light through the side of the tank will only add a small amount to the light intensity. Bubble-Tip Anemone are the most forgiving but I'm not convinced you have met its minimal requirement in the area of lighting. Feeding extra food will help a lot but isn't going to be a permanent solution to the lighting.
Did your LFS instruct you on how to feed it?

swiftskater1

Thank you so much, And yes he did instruct me on how to feed him. I ordered another light. He looks so much better this morning. I might just move him to our 156 gallon tank. But for now he is looking good in this one.