is this normal?

bobbyzat

My tank has been cycling for about 2 weeks now, and when I came home today, I had small spots of tan algae popping up all over the place. I just wanted to make sure this was not anything to worry about. Thanks

chris17

Yes it is normal as elfdoc said, its just diatoms. Check your water conditions, after about 1 month you could prob. put a few snails or hermits in the tank, they will eat it all and keep it under control.................

bobbyzat

Well, the brown spots occured two days before I left for vacation. Now I am back, and the tank is FULL of a rusty brownish red algae. It scrapes off the glass very easily, but is quite nasty. I am hoping this is just another part of the cycle, but the tank is REALLY DARK from it. Does this mean I am ready for a cleanup crew?

chris17

It is for sure diatoms, first check your Amonia, Nitrates,and Nitrites. If your amonia is at 0 or pretty close you might be able to put a hermit crab or a snail in. You would be better off just waiting for you Amonia,Nitrites, all hit 0 your nitrate will need to be around 10-20. I would just clean the front of the tank off every couple days( when it starts to cover it again). Let your tank cycle for about 1 month, just to be safe and then you should be able to add a few snails and hermits...JMO..........................HTH.......

bobbyzat

well my tank has been cycling for right about one month. My ammonia and nitrites are finally down to 0, and my nitrates are between 20-40 ppm. Should I add a full clean up crew like the 50-100 gallon package, or just a few animals at a time. The package would be cheaper, but I dont want them to die. Thanks for any and all inputs.

barry cuda

I have reservations about the cleanup crew combinations offered here because they all contain animals I personally choose not to have. Green brittle stars and blueleg hermits among them... plus I think your concern about adding too many at once makes sense. I'd just buy a few here and a few there.

elfdoctors

Originally posted by bobbyzat
Well, the brown spots occured two days before I left for vacation. Now I am back, and the tank is FULL of a rusty brownish red algae. It scrapes off the glass very easily, but is quite nasty. I am hoping this is just another part of the cycle, but the tank is REALLY DARK from it. Does this mean I am ready for a cleanup crew?

This may be the beginnings of cyanobacteria, which is another nuisance problem with young tanks (and some mature ones). Most people describe cyano as a maroon color. It should be les prominent first thing in the morning and seem to spread as the day goes on as it is photosynthetic. A clean up crew will help diatoms but usually not cyano. There are a lot of threads descrbing ways to limit this problem. I found RO/DI water worked the best.
I also agree not to buy a large package. I bought mine gradually. I ordered from this site and used the inverts to fill out an order as it is best to only add 1-2 fish at a time.