Is This Tank Overcrowded? (Need Answers)

spoon

20g Long:
40lbs Live Rock
40lbs Live Sand
1 Niger Trigger 2"
1 Spotted Sharpnose Puffer "2.5"
1 Yellow Tang 2.5"
3 Green Chromis 2"
This is my tank that started with the Niger Trigger and the Puffer. That's it! I Moved out of my apartment a week ago and set the tank up at my uncles house, who has since gone on a shopping spree.
I need to know if this is overcrowded (which I think it sure is!). Also I would like to know what can possibly happen with this tank now that it is overcrowded. I will then relay the info to my uncle, in hopes that he will take the Tang and Chromis' out of the tank and realize that what he is doing is bad practice.
Thus far his only response to me has been, "the fish are happy, the tank is pretty."
Thanks for the hand, Justin :happy:

so what are you saying??? anyone who cant afford a 300+ gallon tank cant enjoy fish they like??? thats rediculous, many people buy fish and plan that eventually they will be upgrading to a larger tank. that trigger for instance will take 5+ years to outgrow that tank. Do i think its fair to do that to the fish, honestly if its doen right i dont see a problem with it. when you have a queen angel in a 20g tank then yea thats wrong. but if its a juviniel then its fine, once it gets bigger then its time to move it. its a part of this hobby, relax.

adamz

Originally posted by DevilBoy
:yes:
ditch all but the 3 chromis

now that is weird. what is the point of buying a 240 gal tank if your gonna keep 3 green chromis. and also, it is a sharp nose puffer those get about 4-5 iinches. if you think that is to big for a 240 gal tank then that is just odd. the yellow tang wont out grow that tank either. i can see about the trigger but so you have a tang a little puffer and 3 green chromis?
so what size ywould you put thses three fish in if not in a 240

squidd

If they were in a 240 they'de be fine, but the poster said they were in a 20 long...
That's awfully small for that many fish, bioload wise if not size wise...
Tell your uncle to be looking in the 100 gal+ range if he wants to keep all those fish...
Or take a few back if he's not planning on a larger tank soon...
I've had tanks that size, they won't hold that fish load for long...

stacyt

That tank is way to overvrowded. That trigger should about double in size the 1sy few years, and would not be o.k. for a few years in that tank. Besides they are pretty active, and could use some swimming space.

harlequinnut

Originally posted by Angela&Landon
not yet, but it will when those fish grow. the puffer and tang get big.

Even if the fishes stay at it's current sizes, that's 13" of fish in that tank right now. Given the rule of 1" of fish per 5 gallon of water, he'll need a 65 gallon tank to keep these fish, not a 20 gallon!:nope:

spoon

Thanks for all of your responses people.
God dammit, I know its a small friggin tank! Tell me something I DON'T know!
Help, my uncle is over loading this tank. Please let me know what I should tell him!!! Thanks...
Justin :happy:

neowind

Nature will fix the problem you won't have too. The fish will start dying due to the ammonia spikes.

mytank

how tough can it be just say "Uncle, you are overcrowding the tanks and the fish will probably all die because of this" just say it like it is

tyr-sog

so what are you saying??? anyone who cant afford a 300+ gallon tank cant enjoy fish they like??? thats rediculous, many people buy fish and plan that eventually they will be upgrading to a larger tank. that trigger for instance will take 5+ years to outgrow that tank. Do i think its fair to do that to the fish, honestly if its doen right i dont see a problem with it. when you have a queen angel in a 20g tank then yea thats wrong. but if its a juviniel then its fine, once it gets bigger then its time to move it. its a part of this hobby, relax.

lol, that trigger will outgrow that tank in 6 months easily. mine went from just over an inch to 4 1/2 inches in 5 months. It's you prerogative though. I ain't here to lecture anyone.

spoon

Hey, thanks you guys. Dammit though, all my uncle says is, "They are so happy, swimming."
Dammit. :notsure:

jlem

so what are you saying??? anyone who cant afford a 300+ gallon tank cant enjoy fish they like

If you have any concern for the health of your fish then that would be a very true statement. :notsure:
Spoon. I would advise your uncle to visit this site and do some reading.

cmquiroz

Just to let you know I have a SF eel, a lion fish, a PB tang, huma trigger and a harloquin tusk in a 72 gal bow front. We've had them like this for awhile now and they are all just fine and no major chemical changes (except when my husband cleaned the bio-balls...yeah pretty dumb move, I know). The older two are the trigger and the tang who have a VERY slow growth rate. Both are very active and always greet us during feeding time. The eel is like all other eels and hides in our LR. The lion and tusk mind there own business and all together they all are just fine.
Now...I'm not taking sides. I'm going to sit on the fence here but just know that your not alone out there.