IS this what a frogspawn looks like when its going to split?

W

winstew

He was definatly healthy yesterday and lighter in color. Today he is much darker and I noticed that he has these " bulbs" appearing in the middle. Parameters are normal and same as yesterday.

W

winstew

I thought they did? how do you get multiple heads on a single stalk?

chipmaker

I have been told they will grow new heads off the stalks just like you see. The heads get bigger as they grow older. They do not reproduce like a polyp or shroom does. They have to grow their heads by use of calcium in the water.........According to my lfs (take it for what its worth) they told me they do not actually split into separate corals, but add to the existing coral structures head / buds and get larger. After a certain point those extra heads / buds and stalks can be cut off and placed elsewhere.

W

winstew

The calcium idea makes sense. I have had it for about 2 months and it has gotten fuller but not anything like this. I just started dosing Cal and 1 week later this starts happeneing. Just an idea though. I will continue to watch it.

fishieness

Originally Posted by chipmaker
I have been told they will grow new heads off the stalks just like you see. The heads get bigger as they grow older. They do not reproduce like a polyp or shroom does. They have to grow their heads by use of calcium in the water.........According to my lfs (take it for what its worth) they told me they do not actually split into separate corals, but add to the existing coral structures head / buds and get larger. After a certain point those extra heads / buds and stalks can be cut off and placed elsewhere.
new heads will form as well as the heads splitting. On my branching frogspawn, the heads split, as i have little heads emerging from the area still covered with tissue. They start off realy real;y reay small, even now they are only the size of a BB or so.