Is this what live rock should look like?

verde_ad

I bought some live rock today and I just wanted to get some opinions on whether all of the stuff on it was good or bad. All of the live rock I have ever bought is usually just covered with coralline and maybe some other small stuff. This stuff though is covered in all sorts of stuff that I really have no idea what it is. I am new to this, so I figured I would through it out there for you guys and girls to help. Thank you much!

viper_930

Looks EXCELLENT to me. Can you get some closeups of the things growing on it to try and find out what they are?

verde_ad

Here are some more pics. I don't know if they are any better, but they may help. They are a little blury, but my camera doesn't have manual focus, so I am fighting it the whole time.

druluv

I would let that rock cure for little while. It looks like that was just pluck from the water. There might be some die off on it still.
Excellent rock:yes:

thisistodd

wow, i would kill for one piece of LR with that much stuff on it! PLANTS! I dont know, the best piece i ever found here had some coralline on it, only purple, and some sponge. what is that red stuff is that sponge or coralline? I want red like that!

verde_ad

I really don't know what all the stuff is on it, but it cost me a lot of money. The guy at my LFS said that he had a deal with a guy in Florida. Basically my LFS calls this guy and puts in an order. Whith in that hour the guy goes out and hand pics it and it is on the plane that afternoon. My guy goes and pics it up at the airport and it is in his tank by 10pm or so. That is the story at least.

verde_ad

I have no idea if it is cured. I know there is always die off when taking it from the store to home, but the guy said that it was already cured at the lfs.:notsure:

gregvabch

hmmm... unless you live really far away from the store, there's not gonna be any die off IMO. pull it out of the water and smell it. does it stink? looks like some uncured rock to me but i'm no expert. one of my lfs has a large area in the back where they cure their rock shipments, and from what i've seen in there that's what your rock looks like. lots of crazy stuff growing all over it before the die off sets in. if it is cured then right on, it looks great.

attml

Looks like Florida Aquacultured rock - Very nice It has some sponges on it, some Halemda(green) & Garcellaria (Red) macro algae on it. You will probably also find some Tube worms & possibly chitons, limpets, etc.

masterreef

I doubt that it's cured unless it's been at the LFS a very long time. Be sure to remove ALL the bubble algae, everything else looks ok. Be patient waiting for those things to regrow . . . good luck!

verde_ad

Thanks for all th info. I moved the new rock out of my display tank and put it in an unused quarantine tank I had set up. I will leave it in there for a few weeks and let everything die off.