Is your lighting exposed?

rroberts

I just upgraded my lighting to 96 watt power quad compact. The kit cam with just the bulb, ballast and reflector so the light is directly exposed to the water. Is this ok? My old retro right had a plastic cover that covered my PC's. Just curious.

nm reef

I also run an open top on my display...my 4x65 PC's & 2x110 VHO's are exposed but about 6"-8" off the surface. They'll be fine but you do need to have them high enough to avoid direct splash and salt creep.
NMREEF website
“Whiskey for my men...beer for my horses.”
nmreef@cox.net

mattk

I use a 1/16th inch thick piece of plexiglass between my 2 30w actinics and 175w 5500MH. I often wonderd how much beneficial light is being abosrbed by the plexiglass if any.

rroberts

I just noticed I need to raise my lights due to "salt creep". Is it ok just to wipe the sale off the bulbs for now?

leboeuf

depending on the surface flow, creep can collect as much as 12 inches from the water line. I think its apart of the hobby. I just take out my bulbs one a month and wash then in a solution of vinegar and water. Cleans up instantly and replace. I soak my MH in the same solution.

overanalyzer

Originally posted by LeBoeuf
depending on the surface flow, creep can collect as much as 12 inches from the water line. I think its apart of the hobby. I just take out my bulbs one a month and wash then in a solution of vinegar and water. Cleans up instantly and replace. I soak my MH in the same solution.

LeBoeuf - how long do you letthe bulbs dry before you fire them up again?