Issue with newer Aquarium

florida joe

Just a word on filtration. Bio filtration will remove organic produced toxins. Ammonia, nitrates and nitrites. Look into a RO unit for your tap water to remove TDS or at least use store bought RO. Also mechanical filter media will take a lot of solids out of your water column

meowzer

Are you saying you have ONE snail....IMO that is nowhere near enough...get some nassarius snails, they are good in the sand, and also some cerith snails.

meowzer

opinions vary on that....some say a snail per gallon....your tank isn't that old, so maybe get a dozen now of each, and add more later (My opinion only)

cj_build

Hiya Cameronladd fellow austinite.
It took two months for my first saltwater tank to cycle just a FYI. What LFS are you using I found that river city aquatics are about the best in town (even tho they are out for the cash and will tell you any thing that you want to hear).
As for snails, I buy as much as my budget will allow. I alyways buy more snails then I do crabs (I like the crabs others don't) Get a brittle star also. But as meowzer said a dozen each or so. When you start seeing green alge or even red cyno get you an emerald crab.
As all this life is better to watch then the fish IMO.

cameronladd

I had heard good things about River City Aquatics and decided to go there today to pick up some more cured live rock and some snails. I have been using Aquatek bc they were much closer, but seeing that River City costs half the price for cured live rock it might be worth the drive. So I picked up 10lbs of live rock and 3 more snails...one of them being the largest snail I have ever seen in my life, I will take a picture and show you guys...also let me know if you all think I should adjust my aquascaping...Thanks again for all the help you guys and the River City tip cj build, they are much more reasonable.

cameronladd

You can't really tell from the picture but he is practically the size of my fist. Also let me know what you guys think about the rock structure...I heard you are suppose to make stable caves and canopies with the rocks so I tried my best

cj_build

The aquascape looks good. Just make sure it is very secure. I alyways use my hand to kinda press down on them to make sure that they won't move. Are you going to get more LR are you going with a FOWLR?
I am with meowzer that snail might just might be a mover and a shaker, BUT WOW IS HE HUGE. You have to name him LOL.

cameronladd

Well I thought I would just give you guys an update, I have waited and tested and now everything is working great!
I have added some more live rock and waited about a month more and added some fish...I added a black and white percula, scribbled rabbitfish, and a yellow watchmen goby. I also have added about 20 hermits as per the guy at the fish store...I think I have about 10 too many but will see whether I will return half of them or not. The rabbitfish and the percula are the best of friends!!! Thanks again for all the help and advice and always welcome more suggestions.

small triggers

Thats some yellow,, what else are you thinking of adding? You picked fish that will be pretty easy to add most anything else, tangs? angels? wrasses? hawkfish? or many smaller inhabitants? gobies? blennies? cardinals?

cameronladd

I really have no clue what else I will be adding, I have really wanted a porcupine puffer for a long time, but have a few concerns. I was going to get a larger tank in about a year when I move, have heard they like to munch on inverts though, was thinking about returning my inverts and getting a small one and hope that he doesn't outgrow the tank within a year...not really sure whether all those risks are worth it though, if anyone has a suggestions let me know, I like colorful fish with some personality!