It jumped out!!!

alex4286

So between the time i left for work yesterday and came home, my midas blenney (MY FAV FISH!!!) JUMPEd out of the tank and committed suicide.
ive never lost a fish before... esp to a suicide!
my tank is covered about 75% and the front is open just a few inches where i drop the food in. I guess im going to have to cover the tank completely now
i feel like a failure and this should have never of happened.. anyone else expierence anything like that? ive never read anywhere saying midas blennys are 'jumpers' but i should of taken extra percaution from the start. He can neverrr be replaced... my tank is not the same without him.

Wow... I'm very sorry for you and your loss. I didn't know that Blennys were jumpers. I have a lawnmower and a scooter, and I only have about 75 percent coverage too. It is very sad that it takes a tragity like this for all of us to learn something from it. Our thoughts are with you

new180g

I'm so sorry. I had a Royal Gramma and Jawfish do the same thing. It is so sad to find them that way.

nietzsche

i think a lot of fish are potential jumpers if theyre under stressful situations. maybe a fish is chasing it and sees that rushing towards the surface is the only way, maybe someone quickly turned the light on and a skittish fish got scared
some fish are just more likely to jump than others. sorry for your loss, maybe you can look into something to cover the top like eggcrate from home depot or lowe's in the lighting section, or something smaller to make sure small fish cant jump out

alex4286

I just wanna say Thanks to everyone who's replied.
The last i saw him was earlier in the day when i was feeding him. The lights were already on for a lil while and the tank is in my bedroom. He was the largest fish in my tank. all i have are two small true perc clowns, 5 blue/green chromis + a 6line wrasse. Nothing has EVER chased him. & topping it off he was a bold fish and never skiddish when anyone would come up to the tank or anything. If anything the midas was the one who got a kick out of chasing the 6line around here and there. Thats why I couldn't believe my eyes when i saw him in the middle of my woodfloor

W

wbradenpt

considering buying this fish. my tank is completely uncovered. any opinions or experiences on whether or not this fish will jump out?

kynekke

*hugs* Sorry for the loss of your favorite fish. I lost my coral beauty that way and I know how hard it is ... I honestly think some fish, regardless of species, are just prone to jump when scared or even bored.