its impossible... but its working

comet_nut

Now if someone had told me what Im about to tell you I wouldnt believe it in a month of sundays. I recently started to play with the idea of getting some bigger fish for my 60 gallon tank. I initally moved my marine betta over and he did his usual routine of hiding for the first month before venturing out. Then added a blue chin trigger, also fairly placid, still all well. Then in an impluse buy on friday morning I bought a moon or lunar wrasse. I moved my maroon clown out just to be on the safe side and left the damsels in with the others. I really thought that this combination would result in some agression but there has been nothing! Aside from the wrasse stealing food from the hermit crabs all is well and happy.
Its the funniest thing watching the wrasse playing tug-o-war with a bit of prawn meat with the hermit crab hanging on for dear life.
The levels (ie ammonia, nitrite etc) are all fine, ie they are all zero. Have I just been exceptionally lucky or would this have worked normally?

lion_crazz

No, I really don't see much of a problem with that set-up other than the fact that the lunar will eventually outgrow a 60 gallon tank, as will a blue chin trigger. Other than that, they are all peaceful (somewhat territorial) fish.
Just keep an eye on nitrates. Ammonia and nitrite should ALWAYS be 0 if you feed correctly, do the right water changes, and have adequate filtration; nitrates is what you want to keep an eye on.

howardcu

How did you manage to get the marine betta out? I have one that I would like to move to a different tank so that I can have some peppermint shrimp in the one he is in without him devouring them. I really don't want to take the rock work out, but there are many caves and overhangs for it to hide from me. I was actually thinking of a really small hook with a little shrimp bait on it or something. Has anyone else ever done that to remove a fish and if so was the fish harmed? I will try other trapping methods first of course, just curious if that is an option as a last resort.

drummerbum

would you rather take down your rocks or risk hurting your fish
:nope: i cant belive anyone would even think of that
:eek:

comet_nut

ok I'll throw some pics on when I get hoem from work. As for catching the fish, you have to remove the rock, its to stressful on the fish otherwise. Easiest way I have found if you want to minimise the amoutn of rock you have to move is herd your fish to one side of the tank, then put a glass or plastic divider about a third of the way alone the tank so your fish cant swim past it, remove the rock from that section and then its fairly easy. Just try to make sure that your other fish are on the other side of the divider to minimse the stress on them.

ophiura

I've been around places that resorted to the fish hook - usually a very small one and sometimes with the barb filed a bit. It is a potential risk, of course, but it is not unheard of....especially in large tanks with a lot of rock.