Its Time for a Clean up

teresaq

Well I think its time to stop feeling sorry for my self and start cleaning up my tank.
The last two yrs have been rough but I want my tank back
I may have a buyer for my 150n gal so its time to throw some money into my 56 gal reef. not that it looks much like a reef right now.
I am hoping to order new bulbs next week and really give the tank a good cleaning out.

snakeblitz33

Nice macro garden!

Do it slowly. You don't have to rush into things.

First check your top off water to make sure your still getting zero TDS.

Clean out your sump, remove it and clean all the muck, detritus and other grit and grime going on down there. Do a water change while your at it.

Do your standard water tests to see where your tank is at. Replace any equipment that is old, such as lights, that need replacing...

You know the drill. I'm glad to see that you are back on the site, TQ!

teresaq

Thanks - ya will be taking it slow, believe it or not the sumps not too bad lol, more alge in the tank then the sump
all the rocks will have to be taken out and scrubbed. The ones that have corals still on them, I will have to pick the caulpa out and everything will have to be dipped for flat worms. its a real mess

ifirefight

I second the clean out the sump thing... Just tore my 44 gallon sump out of the 130...totallly cleaned it and started the sump from scratch... new sand,left out most of the rocks,cleaned skimmer and UV..it was fairly nasty... been 2 1/2 years since the last time i did that...the skimmer is so huge that the only way it can be cleaned is to totally take out the sump to get to it....looks a LOT nicer now....
heres a pic from the initial install.... still cracks me up!

My Son,age 5 at the time...with the summer mohawk!!! lol

E

eric b 125

Welcome back Teresa! I just got back from a year hiatus myself after a total-loss tank crash. It's good to be back with a new found interest in the tank, though.