I've become desperate for answers...

killafins413

My hermit crab kills all of my fish i put in my tank!!! THe fish i have now live perfectly together and never suceed in harming one another but when i add another fish and move everything around my fish adapt but at night my crab roams and kills. He is like a personal assasin for the fish or something. My tank has an algae problem and i can't put anything in their otherwise the crab will kill it; i have tried turbo snails and m afriad to waist money on shrimp. What can I do with this beast of a being without killing it or sending it away. Is there some secret tip to taming the rabid hermit crab into eating algae and pellets? I have thought about live food but then i think it will accostum to live food and turn on the fish i have now. Help!!!

drgriff

I agree with dreeves. Give that little guy a real nice sendoff down the drain. Who knows, they might make it into a third installment in the Alligator movies....:)

broncofish

What do you have some kind of ninja hermit. All of mine move so slow that it would be impossible for them to grab each other let alone a fish?

A

alti

he's probably got the wrong kind of hermit. is it one of those big hairy ones? i have one i had to put in another tank since hes about 6" across now. they do get big and mean.

dreeves

I had two of the big brown herms...they were cool to watch fight one another. Violent little guys....like boxers...jabbing one another with their claws...
The dwarf blues I have now tangle up every now and then...they are sorta fun to watch...not as aggressive as the two brown ones.
But by all means, a fish of any variety usually cost far more then a hermit.
Set the hermit free in your yard...or the sewers.

buzz

I'm with Alti on this one. What kind of hermit are you talking about? How big is it?

Yup i'm telling you now get rid of it before your sorry. I had a crab once that wiped out my whole tank except 1 fish .He even killed a niger trigger.Some crabs are just not ment to be with the community fish.

ophiura

Yeah, where did you get this hermit from? Typical reef hermits are not large enough to cause this sort of trouble.
Take it back the the LFS where you got it, or set up a small tank for it, or put it in the sump.

broncofish

Originally posted by ophiura
Yeah, where did you get this hermit from? Typical reef hermits are not large enough to cause this sort of trouble.
Take it back the the LFS where you got it, or set up a small tank for it, or put it in the sump.

Please go with this advise, you noticed there is no FLUSH it advice, thats just plain mean.

dreeves

Mean is giving a child a lollipop and then taking it away and laughing...
Flushing a hermit crab is just that...flushing a hermit crab.

broncofish

Originally posted by dreeves
Mean is giving a child a lollipop and then taking it away and laughing...
Flushing a hermit crab is just that...flushing a hermit crab.

Not caring for the lives entrusted to you is irresponsible, to kill something instead of driving 5 minutes to an LFS IS mean, and lazy.

dreeves

Lets keep this in perspective...
No life was entrusted to you...you chose a hobby...you purchase animals like they are candy or a gallon of milk. Most of these animals formally lived in the wild as nature inteded. Then they were ruthlessly ripped from their environment and shot to a store and we bought them, thus determining their fate.
The guy(gal??) obtained a hermit...now they have a problem with the hermit...it their decision on how to remedy the problem. They asked for advice and they got advice. Nothing more nothing less.

scotts

Dreeves,
I could not disagree with you more.
No life was entrusted to you...
When you buy a creature that life in entrusted to you. I thought you were being saracastic, but I don't think you are.
Most of these animals formally lived in the wild as nature inteded. Then they were ruthlessly ripped from their environment and shot to a store and we bought them, thus determining their fate.
Exactly, that is exactly why you need to do everything that you can to keep these animals alive.
Could go on longer but don't have the time.
BTW how is you yellow tang in your 29 gallon aquarium? (Inside joke to others on this board)
Scott

dreeves

Scotts...
I will maintain that no one entrusted you or anyone with a life.
The local fish store, or other retailer of any animal more then likely sold the animal to you for one purpose, to make a buck as would be the purpose of their maintaining a facility of some sort to conduct such business. One gives cash..one receives an animal(s)...where is the entrusting?
The responsible person would have done research into their animal prior to purchasing or otherwise obtaining it. Apparently this was not accomplished be it through negligence, ignorance or otherwise. Either way...this person obtained the animal, doesn't know what to do with the animal now that he has it, and again...they asked for advice...my advice was to flush it or set it free in his backyard. Whether he/she choses to follow this advice is a personal decision. It is not a controversial issue...
In addition Scotts...your "inside joke to others on the board" is not humorous...contrare, it would mean one of two things...either ignorance at the idea of keeping a Yellow Tang in such a small space....or you are referencing a separate issue concerning someone else, and feel it is humorous and relevant to this thread.
In any case, Scott's...the bottom line is simple...they asked, I answered. They will do one of two things...take my advice...or not take my advice...either way...it is of no concern to me.
You have a good day, and a pleasant time with our mutual interest in the hobby.