I've got a 144RR half circle... New here and dunno which fish to stock!

rotarymagic

I've had some nanos (Pair of yashias and a candy stripe along with a goldnosed eviota goby in a BC14) and a 20long that's been setup for corals (150w MH with a chiller)
I'm pondering doing a FOWLR on this 144 as I'm kinda tired of discouraging "reef safe" fish selection.
Can I comfortably house the following fish (I do realize not all will work, but I'm throwing out ideas of stuff I like):
Powder brown tang
Blonde naso tang male (I love the streamers!)
Purple tang (Red Sea)
Magnificent Rabbitfish
Guinea fowl puffer
Bluejaw hawaiian male trigger
A pair of gold stripe Maroon clowns
Harlequin Tusk (Australian variety)
Copperband butterfly
Maybe some other choices... I dunno if even any of these except for the clowns would really work in this tank (~56 inches wide.)

rotarymagic

The redwood finish variety
It does have a 48inch coralife 2x250w MH and 2x96w actinic fixture though ($1100 brand new, I got everything used for a pretty darn good deal!)

rotarymagic

All right, I guess with no such input from other people on this forum I'll get 6 tangs and cut their barbs off so they can't stab each other.

R

regina13

Give it time. It is summer and the forum REALLY slows down. Try posting this in the aggressive forum also. There are people there that might help.

aquaknight

If this is your plan for your 'final' tank or at least the only new tank for a while, I'd skip on the Naso. One of any real size is already too big, and a small juvi will outgrow the tank very quickly. The Copperband butterfly also seems a bit 'out-muscled' in that tank.
Rest of the fish look good with one condition, you're going to need lots rock placed strategically to get the tangs and trigger to take longer swimming paths. The circumference of the front glass is 88" (based on your measurement of 56" wide), so lots of rock on the backwall to get them swimming the front glass.
The thing is, I don't really like to post on 'what should I stock threads.' It's just that the fish I like, is the fish I like, I'm not sure what other people likes/dislikes are or their ability to care for certain fish. Not everybody can feed Anthias's three times a day, or simultaneously introduce two tangs. There's also the availability issue. I'm one of those that will wait for the fish I want. I don't just go to the LFS and get something there.

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/2669478
If this is your plan for your 'final' tank or at least the only new tank for a while, I'd skip on the Naso. One of any real size is already too big, and a small juvi will outgrow the tank very quickly. The Copperband butterfly also seems a bit 'out-muscled' in that tank.
Rest of the fish look good with one condition, you're going to need lots rock placed strategically to get the tangs and trigger to take longer swimming paths. The circumference of the front glass is 88" (based on your measurement of 56" wide), so lots of rock on the backwall to get them swimming the front glass.
The thing is, I don't really like to post on 'what should I stock threads.' It's just that the fish I like, is the fish I like, I'm not sure what other people likes/dislikes are or their ability to care for certain fish. Not everybody can feed Anthias's three times a day, or simultaneously introduce two tangs. There's also the availability issue. I'm one of those that will wait for the fish I want. I don't just go to the LFS and get something there.
Hmm.. that sucks... I found a 200gallon (7x2x2) with stand for $200 (divorcesale) I may pick that up and do a fish only with that... Now what tangs and triggers can I place in a 200gallon FOWLR? I want a really nice looking mix, but can't afford a gem tang or clarion angel (yet, unless I rob a bank haha)... maybe a male crosshatch trigger though (It would have to be one of the last fish added because of tank maturation and I want tank stability to be rock solid.)

rotarymagic

Aquaknight, of that list though which fish could go in the 144 based upon comfortable swimming room and aggression?

aquaknight

Powder brown tang
Purple tang (Red Sea)
Magnificent Rabbitfish
Add in a 'medium-sized' Angel, Poma, Majestic, Black Velvet, Red Sea Regal. Maybe some more room, depending on filtration, water change schedule, etc.

aquaknight

Well, based size-wise on the tank, it is very close. Imagine a football with a tail trying to swimming around. But I didn't include him on the list because of the bio-load, a large puffer presents. If you get a mega-skimmer and do decent sized water changes regliously, it might work. To be honest, the 144gal is a better home then most will wind up in. My recommendations are just that, mine. It's what I would do. The guinea fowl could be perfectly happy to be in your tank. I just give more a strict suggestions, hopefully whoever is requesting takes at least part of it in.

bioneck47

Originally Posted by Rotarymagic
http:///forum/post/2669831
The guinea fowl puffers get too big?
I too think that a guineafowl puffer is too big. They really don't need huge tanks but they do take up lots of room and are a big bio load. You can def. have one but it would limit you to some of the other fish you want.

rotarymagic

I might cheat and get a juvi blonde naso male anyway, but if it got visibly too damn big for the tang.. I would definitely get a bigger tank or sell it..

cjqsmom

Originally Posted by Rotarymagic
http:///forum/post/2668318
Can I comfortably house the following fish (I do realize not all will work, but I'm throwing out ideas of stuff I like):
Powder brown tang
Blonde naso tang male (I love the streamers!)
Purple tang (Red Sea)
Magnificent Rabbitfish
Guinea fowl puffer
Copperband butterfly
Maybe some other choices... I dunno if even any of these except for the clowns would really work in this tank (~56 inches wide.)

I dont know about the maroon clowns as I have ONE in my tank and he is a mean SOB. I am ready to pull him out of my tank. He is always stiring the sand up making sand storms and chasing my purple tang. Dont get me wrong he is a beautiful fish and its cool the way he is tring to host my clam but he is my lil devil child mine is about 4"-5". Just my opinion tho.

rotarymagic

Yeah I'd rather have black and white false percs, but I don't know if they'd get shredded or not in such a tank.

rotarymagic

Instead of the powder brown, I'm leaning towards a blue...
I'd also like to add a lunare or banana wrasse. Are either of these possible?
So essentially my revised list would be:
Regal angel red sea (possible if first fish introduced?)
powder blue tang
purple (or a chevron tang or both)
lunare or banana wrasse (last fish to go in)
blue jaw male trigger
harlequin tusk australian
Would that list max out my tank?

fuerte91

Originally Posted by cjqsmom
http:///forum/post/2683490
I dont know about the maroon clowns as I have ONE in my tank and he is a mean SOB. I am ready to pull him out of my tank. He is always stiring the sand up making sand storms and chasing my purple tang. Dont get me wrong he is a beautiful fish and its cool the way he is tring to host my clam but he is my lil devil child mine is about 4"-5". Just my opinion tho.
I think if you decided to go aggresive the maroons would work since they are the most agressive of the clowns. I won one and if something gets to near his area he'll chase it off.