I've got a question about lighting for my future reef tank.

dan21

Ok. First my story.
I went to the LFS and was looking to buy a predrilled 90 gallon aquarium w/ stand and what not. I ended up talking the guy at the LFS for a little while and he said I'll sell you a predrilled 180 and give you this stand free. So i thought about it for .2 seconds and said ok.
Im wanting to put some corals and such in the aquarium, but im kinda new to the whole coral thing so which lighting system should i go with. I think I've got it narrowed down to two:
One:
72 inch 4x96 Watt Current USA PowerCompact Orbit Fixture
Two:
72 inch Current USA 12x39W Nova Extreme Pro T5HO 6-10k/6-460nm Actinics
(google these since i cant post the link)
I guess what I'm asking is will corals do fine with just the first lighting system, because it would save me a little $$$ or should i suck it up and go with the second lighting system
Feel free to give me more ideas but i dont really want to spend more more than the second lighting system.
THANKS!

perfectdark

Depending on the corals you plan on keeping the first will be ok for low light demanding corals. However even if that were my intention if I had the $$ I would go with the nova extreme pros, just smart money IMO. If you have the desire later on for higher light corals, you will be all set.