Iverson going to Denver!

zsalinas

Well it looks like Denver has worked out a trade for Allen Iverson. Philadelphia will recieve Andre Miller, and Jones Smith. They also get both of Denver's first round draft picks for 2007. What do you think about this trade. Who's getting the better end of the deal?

emmitt2

Im a HUGE carmelo fan so now a Denver fan. Not sure if they can coexist since both want/expect 25 shots a game. Not sure if Denver gets better because now they have absolutely NOONE to distribute the ball.
Will be interesting to see melo and iverson running the break together. Two top leading scorers in the NBA on the same team. Should be fun.

zsalinas

From what I've read those two got along really well on team USA. This is going to help Denver out while Melo is serving his suspension.

emmitt2

Thats for sure!! This could save their season while Melo is out. When he gets back i'll be VERY interested to see how 2 30 point/25 shot a game pure scorers can coexist. They very well may both continue to average 30 a game considering how much Denver runs and that other than JR smith, they have NO other real scorers on the team.
Like i said, i'm a Melo fan not a Denver fan so im not sure if this helps him or not. It certainly will make it much tougher to double team Melo with Iverson on the wing and should help his assists but i gotta believe his average will probably come down. He has to finally win in the playoffs though to get back in Wades league in the public eye so this move will probably help him in that respect.

zsalinas

Another thing that I think could make it work is George Karl (the nuggets coach). He's very good friends with Larry Brown. Look back when Larry Brown was coaching the sixers and they made it to the finals. Karl could always go to Larry Brown for help considering Larry Brown is no longer coaching. I think they'll work well of each other. Iverson needs a big forward who can score. Not old and rusty Chris Webber. I'm keepin my fingers crossed

emmitt2

Are you a Nuggets fan zsalinas?
It'll definitely be interesting. Iverson, JR, Melo, Najera and Camby could be a VERY good starting 5. Melo and AI can provide most of the scoring and Najera and Camby can play defense and JR can just spot up and hit 3's. Should make their fast break even more potent but i think their halfcourt defense will suffer.

zsalinas

I'm a sixers fan for through and through. I like the nuggets for sure. Mostly I love Allen Iverson. I'm glad to see him going to a good team. I'll be a fan of his wherever he goes, but I'll still follow the sixers no matter what happens. They're gettin a good deal out of this thing as well.

emmitt2

Really? Seems to me the Sixers are getting kinda hosed in the deal.
Granted, they had to take what they could get as the whole league knows they are in a bad position but it doesnt seem like they got very much. Miller is a decent player but nothing special. He gets alot of assists but most of those are on breaks to Anthony. I dont think he'll get many of those in Philly especially with Iverson gone and he isnt a standout on defense. Joe Smith is a decent post player still and may do OK in the east grinding out halfcourt games, he really wasnt suited for Denvers running game. The draft picks are basically worthless though IMO. They will be later picks i think(are they both Denvers or thru another team?) and its DEFINITELY a crap shoot getting a good player in the NBA draft unless you have a top 10 pick. You can certainly find a gem if your lucky but the vast majority of late 1st rounders dont amount to much.

zsalinas

I believe they're Denvers picks. An updated report says the Sixers may aquire 1 or 2 more minimum salary players. It gives them some cards to play with and try to rebuild the team. They need to start somewhere. The thing with A. Miller that is good is he distributes the ball alot. The Sixers have good players just not real consistent yet. They're still young and learnin. Well except for Webber. He was a mistake I wish they never would've got him.

emmitt2

He was a mistake but nothing compared to their other huge mistake. I'm a Melo fan because I went to Syracuse and LOVE any of their players in the NBA. I used to be a sixer fan for awhile because of one of their worst free agent signings ever.....my main man and basketball idol....DC.
As much as it pains me to say it, that was WAY worse than Webber. At least Webber still had a little ball left in him when he came to Philly.

scubadoo

Originally Posted by Zsalinas
Well it looks like Denver has worked out a trade for Allen Iverson. Philadelphia will recieve Andre Miller, and Jones Smith. They also get both of Denver's first round draft picks for 2007. What do you think about this trade. Who's getting the better end of the deal?
All depends on what they do with the picks received. On paper, Philly is getting the better deal. THey get rid of a problem and get something substantial in return. I assume Denver made the move in order to win a championship. Iverson is getting old so they will have to do it soon...or else the trade was a waste.....as they have mortgaged the future to some extent for a payoff today .
We'll just have to see how it works for both over time. Both could end up with a good deal.
There is only one ball...so it all depends how the chemistry works out for Denver.

reckler

melo better keep his cool from now on, or he just might get the boot. that was uncalled for what he did. I had the operatunity to meet him and he seems to be a pretty nice guy from how I saw it. I hope the nuggets can still win some games now..

ice4ice

Being from Central NY and a HUGE SU b-ball fan, Carmello is Syracuse's own along with G-Mac. It is unfortunate that Melo got suspended for 15 games. But keep in mind - a Knicks player started the fight because his team was losing so bad. I agree Melo shouldn't have sucker-punched and run. He should have stood up like a man and be ready to defend himself. he caused his own grief. As far as Iverson being on the team, I think it will help Denver some but once melo comes back - I think you're going to see some numbers dropped. Denver is Carmelo's team not Iverson's. It's gonna be hard when both players want the ball all the time. Should be interesting to see what happens next. I think Iverson being in Denver is bad for the team.

emmitt2

We gotta get Devendorf back soon ice or this season is gonna be shot. Harris looks really good but were dyin without Devendorf.
Its gonna be weird rooting for Iverson. I hated him when he was in high school once he announced he was going to Georgetown. I remember thinking what bs it was they were letting him go there after all the trouble he was in in high school. He didnt really stay around long enough at GU for me to really dislike him especially since we went to the final four his last year. Still, i HATE having to root for georgetown players. Oh well, at least they didnt get Zo!!
By the way, Warrick is starting to look pretty dang good. In another year or 2, i think he will be a fringe all star caliber player. I cant believe the Nuggets didnt take him last year. I would kill to still have them on the same team and get to see Hak and Melo at least 82 times a year!

ice4ice

Yeah - couldn't agree more. I'm still stumped in how the hell SU lost to Drexel !! The players have got to get it together and play as a team.

emmitt2

Roberts didnt play the 2nd half which KILLED us. Between that and Devendorf still not able to go a full game, we could lose to anyone unfortunately. Hopefully, they will both get healthy and be ready for the big east. I still think we could do some damage later in the year and be good once these guys get back and the team gels and learns to play together.
p.s.- ice, i forgot to say, isnt it amazing how good Nichols is playing?!?! His 1st 2 years , everytime he shot, i wanted to puke! Now, he cant miss no matter where he shoots from. We've had a ton of players who went from nothing to great under Boeheim but i cant believe how good he looks and how much confidence hes shooting with. His 1st 2 years, you could tell just by his body language he had NO chance of making an outside shot.

ice4ice

Yeah - it's about friggin' time too ! LOL !!! GO ORANGE !!!
PS - I bleed orange just like the rest of SU fanatics out here in CNY !! LMAO !!!

lion_crazz

Coming from someone who lives in Philly, THANK GOD he is gone! He has been a headache for WAY too long and it's about time he was sent packing.
I will never forget the press conference where he said the word "practice" 15.5 times within 90 seconds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frsId...elated&search=
"Not a game, not a game, not a game.... we talkin about practice."
Adios, AI!