iwaki md70rlt for return?

jshepherd

Hello all,
First post here but tons of searching.
I have a 150g 72"x18"x27" perfecto with dual corner overflows that they rate them for 1200 gph combined.
I am looking at the refugium 45 by aquatic design habitats and a Euro reef rs180. I am looking for an external pump that will work.
The iwaki looks to be highly recomended but looking on there site it says the rlt is rated for a pressure system and the rlxt is for wet/dry return system? The md70rlt is rated at 1500 @ 4' which with my tank and the dual returns I figure about 9' head to the furthest return and 4 90deg fitting so it brings it down to below my 1200 over flow pipe ratings.
Am I missing anything here? I would appreciate any suggestions
Thanks for any suggestions. I have spent hours for a week straight searching and have learned tons from this site.
John

scsinet

It sounds like you have it right.
The only difference in the pumps is that the pressure rated pumps are designed for higher head applications with less head loss, the lower pressure rated pumps are designed for more flow at a lower head.

eyebedam

Check out the blue line pumps. They are pan world pumps that are sold under a diff name. They were designed by iwakis top engineer and are considerbley cheaper as far as price goes. I'm runnig a 100 hd on my 180 pusing 16 ft up from my basement with it turned almost all the way down. I promise you will be happy with the quality of these pumps.

jshepherd

thanks for the responce.
It looks like I will go with the Iwaki md70rlt.
For the return plumbing should I run something like 1" or 1 1/2" out of the pump then bring that to the middle of the tank underneath then split off with a T to a 3/4 " return for both sides of the tank to keep flow equal?

jshepherd

I looked into the bluline/pan pumps and the part #pw-200ps looks to be the same as the iwaki. The price difference is minimal between the pal and the iwaki though.