Jaw tank is ready!!

fishmamma

So excited, my Jawfish arrived at LFS today, I will be picking it up late next week. 20 gallon extra tall tank with a DSB on the left hand side only with a tower type structure of live rock and egg crate to be filled in with LPS corals. The center and right side of the tank has an inch of sand with a mound type structure set on top of a crate cube, again I left room for corals........zoanthids and shrooms most likely. About 30 lbs of rock in there now, LFS is getting me a a few tall pieces of tonga for next week to add some height to the tank (24 inches tall). I will be adding MH lights when I get a check back from Uncle Sam in a couple of months. For now there is a standard hood light.
What do you all think? Pictures are off a bit in color cause I didn't use the flash....all comments and suggestions welcome! :jumping:

milomlo

I like it. I would love to see pictures of your jawfish. I like those they are nice. I wish I had one.
Question though, why do you use eggcrate for your corals? Why not just attach to the rock? I am curious. I haven't purchased any corals that I have had to attach to anything yet. So I just want to know your take on things.

vanquish

I like the design, your tank represents more of the water column by being tall, and it also allows you to build that unique tower from the rocks. I'd be very interested to see what your tank looks like once you have corals attached. I was interested by your egg crate too—is it to reduce weight and take up volume? The cave it creates would be good for inverts or an juvenile eel maybe? Looks great.
Just a side question: what's your strategy to clean it? Being tall and narrow it doesn't look like there's a lot of room to maneuver and it might be hard to get to the bottom. Just wondering.

jmick

It looks really good, what type of jawfish are you getting? I love my dusky jawfish; he is hands down my favorite. Couple of things, I really like the DSB and keep your fingers crossed that he will decide to make his home on that side. Also, if he burrows under that large stack of rock I’d be slightly concerned that they weight of it may crush his burrow and trap him underneath. My dusky is a very shy feeder and I have to use a long pipette to feed him, this is something you might want to have on hand so you can inject food directly into his burrow in the beginning to ensure he gets enough to eat. As time goes by he will leave the safety of his burrow to feed. Finally, make sure you have plenty of rubble so he can reinforce his home and when adding frags make sure they are to big for him to fit in his mouth (mine will steal small frags and will sometime take them into his burrow and I never see them again).

fishmamma

Thanks for all the replies!! I drilled holes in the live rock and used zip ties to attach the pieces to a tall section of egg crate. I will not attach the corals to the crate, but once grown in the crate will no longer be visible. I built the cube to keep good water flow through the mound section and avoid a big pile of tightly packed rock.
I have a section of PVC pipe in the DSB side with a piece of rock on top and then the rack structure is set on top of that. I tried to design it with the Jaw in mind so things should be secure (I hope!!!). I may use the upside down bowl trick when I place the jaw in the tank so that he will burrow where I want him to but ultimatly he will choose his home, hopefully he will want a DSB. :thinking: Thanks for the pipette tip, I have a turkey baster now that I use to feed some of my gobies but this tank is much deeper and I may need to go with one of those super long pipettes. I think the LFS got me a Yellow Head but the fish where on their way to the store from the airport when I was there this morning so I didn't get to see him/her. Thanks for the frag tip too!!
As for cleaning I will use a mag float and and siphon out any large debris, it is a long reach but I can get to the bottom if I remove all sleeves.

celacanthr

:cheer: !!!!!YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!! :cheer:
!YAY! I am so excited 4 you!!!!!
yellow headed are so cute, and they remind me of... who do they remind me of? Well, they actually remind me of a squirrel...a hyper active squirrel. they go in the hole when they find food...like squirrels. They come out of the hole to get more food...like squirrels...You look at them for more than 1 minute, they get self concious...and go in the hole! fun critters.
Anyway fishmamma. Don't worry about feeding him unless he wants to come out of his hole. I think the pipe stresses him out more! Well, mine was hidden for 2-3 weeks (as you know), and I never fed the tank during that time (before that I was pipe feeding him, but UI stressed him so much that he moved, so I couldn't find him, too feed him), but he came out (eventually) still as alive...and as...cough...squirrely as ever! LOL
You know that pics are mandatory...I know that too...so i should probably take some new pics with my new camera (well it is really a phone, but there is a nice[er] camera in it). Should I post the pics here or in the Fish mamma thread?

fishmamma

OOH! Post here, I can't wait to see them.
How was your Christmas? How are all the new additions doing?

celacanthr

Actually, it was great! Oh, and remember only one jawfish...all of them died after the DrsF&S massacre...

Well, all of the new inhabitents are doing well...except all of my shrimp died...or molted... I wonder... :thinking:
I am about to order some more stuff from the place...some nice corals! w/ free shipping of course!
Oh, and some more snails! I have so many diatoms it isn't even funny! I also got an RO/DI unit...well, I got money to buy it with LOL
I am about to do my forst Ro/DI water water change!!! YAY!
I also got my qt tank settup for when I eventually get the...PIPEFISH! YAY
Gimme a few minutes...I am cooking ATM, and I am a little bit busy LOL

fishmamma

By "them" I meant pictures since I am hopng you will post more than one.
How could I forget the Dr's tragedy? That was so sad. :mad:

I e-mailed that site about macroalgae and never got a response back so now I am not so thrilled with them. Maybe a fluke since they seemed like a good site?? What type of corals and other stuff will you be ordering?
What type of pipefish? Can you mix them? I have read Bluestripe are among the easiest to feed and therefor keep?

monalisa

Wow FM!!! Look at you!! I can't wait to see pics of your new adventure!!
My most recent dream is to clean up a 20gal tank that I used to have for FW fish, and get it ready and set for SW...not till after our trip though, so I have lots of time.
Way to go!!!
Can't wait to see the progress.
Lisa :happyfish

fishmamma

Originally Posted by MonaLisa
Wow FM!!! Look at you!! I can't wait to see pics of your new adventure!!
My most recent dream is to clean up a 20gal tank that I used to have for FW fish, and get it ready and set for SW...not till after our trip though, so I have lots of time.
Way to go!!!
Can't wait to see the progress.
Thanks!! So might that be your future Seahorse tank?

monalisa

Originally Posted by fishmamma
Thanks!! So might that be your future Seahorse tank?
Absolutely!!

celacanthr

Monalisa that is great! How tall is the tank? What species are you getting!? I am all excited now!
Ok, working on pics...LOL
Oh, and fishmamma, the place... There are only two people that work there...albeit two very nice and informative people, so they are pretty busy throughout most of the day. I have had unanswered emails, but If you call (during the business hours) they are VERY responsive, and VERY helpful!
Well, here, is a pic to hopefully hold you over till my jawfish stops bieng so squirrely and comes out, it is of My urchin...
drat "too big" I will do...something...

celacanthr

YOU ARE VERY DEMANDING! LOL J/k! sure if i get it working properky! AHHHH! Nope, my phone isn't working, because I need to buy some more minutes to be able to send pics to my email! It will have to be tommorrow..sorry!

celacanthr

LOL, interesting is right! If you like brown diatoms, you will LOVE my tank! Actually, I am hoping that the RO/DI will beable to help take care of the diatoms...
You know what I realized about a week ago?
I have a biotope! (I absolutely LOVE biotopes, since they show somewhat more natural behaviours between the inhabitants!) A florida Keys Biotope!

fishmamma

Originally Posted by CELACANTHr
LOL, interesting is right! If you like brown diatoms, you will LOVE my tank! Actually, I am hoping that the RO/DI will beable to help take care of the diatoms...
You know what I realized about a week ago?
I have a biotope! (I absolutely LOVE biotopes, since they show somewhat more natural behaviours between the inhabitants!) A florida Keys Biotope!
And here that is what I thought you were going for all along.
You put in some sea grass right?
Don't sweat the diatoms, they will do no harm and only hurt your eyes.