Jawfish

sebaehope

I was looking at a yellow headed jawfish, and figured I would ask some people about them. I know they build a burrow in the sand, do they actually stir up the substrate thru the day, or do they just stay in the burrow once its built?Its only tankmates for now would be a sebae clown,2 anemones,and a couple of inverts. Thanks.

grouperhead

i dont think that they sift the sand, but i could be wrong. they are awesome fish though. very cool to watch and beautiful. he would be great in your tank. just make sure you have a good layer of substrate around 5". they are good feeders too. just wondering, but what size tank and what species of anemones do you have? later, bo

sebaehope

Thanks Grouper,I have a 30 gl, with a Condi and a Sebae anemone. The Condi has claimed a spot on the LR at one end, and the Sebae on the floor at the other end. The Sebae is on the the glass, I got him b4 I went with a LS substrate,thanks to my ignorant lfs, so I just spread the sand around him.I would roughly guess the bed is around 4" everywhere else. I was just looking for a fish that would stir the LS up a little, to help keep it clean looking. My lfs has had him for two weeks in a glass bottom tank, and tonight they threw 2 yellow tailed damsels in with him, and he was takin a whuppin. Call it a mercy buy, but I like him, so I think I will get him tommorow. Thanks.

grouperhead

i really like jawfish. i think they are great. if you want a sand sifter go for a gobi of some sort like a sleeper, bluecheek, or one like that. jawfish are one of if not my favorite non oagressive fish. i just think it is so cool to watch them hover around thier hole. he should be great in your tank, you might want to add just a little more sand to make him happiest though. good luck, and tell us how he does, bo

pufferlover

Thejawfish will build its burrow in the substrate (I use only cc and have had them with no problems in that type). They will stay near their bolt hole (as it is called) except when eating then right back they go. At night they will sleep in it after taking a pebble or rock and covering the entrance as they back in (very cool to watch). If you have more then one they will steal shells from each other for the entrances of their respective homes. They are mild tho and will not fight back so beware what they are with.