Jellyfish Tanks?

laddy

Was surfing around last night and came across on some salwater site, species specific jelly fish tanks. I've never seen one, outside Monterey Bay Aquarium, before. Does anyone have one, or know someone who does? I didn't even know you could order jellyfish.

N

nereef

their tank needs to meet some special requirements. for one, the tank needs to be round.

S

surfinusa

ive seen black jellyfish for 15 dollars and they were awesome also because i live by the ocean i was on the wharf and saw a californian purple striped jelly fish it was cool but a creepy looking thing :scared:

S

surfinusa

and also i bet the jellyfish would be dead before it made it to your door they are very delicate

poniegirl

The Seattle Aquarium has a jellyfish display that is awesome. The tank is quite narrow and creates an arch that you can walk through. The arch is about 4ft wide and goes down through the floor and back up to complete what I only assume is an oval or circle. The water flow seems quite brisk and the jellys go around and around. I don't know the reason, but can only guess the habits of the jellys require this set up. I'll see if they have it on their site.

laddy

I'm have no desire to keep them, however, I just happened to come across this site (it was a Japanese site) and wondered how many people are actually maintaining them in their homes. Just off the top of my head I would have to say they are extremely difficult to keep.

emperor11

Originally Posted by alyssia
Don't they get stuck in the corners?
Good question, but not to my knowledge. I do, however, know that if you keep them in a regular aquarium, that they need an undergravel filter, to keep them from getting sucked up (HOB's dont work, because the output it too strong, even with the intake covered). They also need a blacklight, so you can view them, and blacklights are IMO, not safe in a regular fluorescent fixture, even though thats what they are. They run hotter, and again, imo, are a fire hazard.

ophiura

They can not really be in a tank with corners, except for the upside down jellyfish. They are exceedingly delicate and corners tear them up. They must be in a tank with a specialized flow...basically these are kreisel tanks. Many need chillers, and they are rather a beast to care for. I cared for some and cleaning involved very careful algae cleaning, and siphoning with airline tubing and even then, some or pieces got sucked off. They need rather a lot of food as well.

emperor11

Originally Posted by ophiura
They can not really be in a tank with corners, except for the upside down jellyfish. They are exceedingly delicate and corners tear them up. They must be in a tank with a specialized flow...basically these are kreisel tanks. Many need chillers, and they are rather a beast to care for. I cared for some and cleaning involved very careful algae cleaning, and siphoning with airline tubing and even then, some or pieces got sucked off. They need rather a lot of food as well.
Good to know! We can always count on you, can't we Oph...
Where in the world did you learn all this stuff??

ophiura

In the case of jellyfish, I knew some but learned a whole lot while an aquarist at a local aquarium that added a "simple" jellyfish exhibit. They were a pain in the rear, IMO.