Just bought a 55 Gallon

crypt keeper

I currently own a 30 gallon which is up and running with live sand and about 20 pounds live rock. I bought a new 55 gallon with stand. In my current set up I have SF eel and Huma Huma trigger. That is it. I kept hearing that my fish will out grow my tank so I went a little bigger. I know they will out grow the 55 but it will take longer.
Anyway. My main question is a how to. How do I transfer everything from my 30g to the 55g and have it up and running in no time? I plan on buying more live rock. Setting it up then added my live rock from my tank and sand. Should I start it and let it cycle then switch it over?

well I to have the same question so I will await a response on this one aswell! I want to uprgade my 75 bowfront to a 120 bowfront...

M

markeo99

if you are adding new live rock you have to cycle the other tank with the rock first if you are not adding new rock and useing yours from one tank to another the cycle will be very light

sepulatian

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/2664309
I currently own a 30 gallon which is up and running with live sand and about 20 pounds live rock. I bought a new 55 gallon with stand. In my current set up I have SF eel and Huma Huma trigger. That is it. I kept hearing that my fish will out grow my tank so I went a little bigger. I know they will out grow the 55 but it will take longer.
Anyway. My main question is a how to. How do I transfer everything from my 30g to the 55g and have it up and running in no time? I plan on buying more live rock. Setting it up then added my live rock from my tank and sand. Should I start it and let it cycle then switch it over?
Is the 55 being set up in a different spot than the 30? This makes a great deal of difference in how to do the transfer.

crypt keeper

It would be in the same room but on the other side in the opposite corner. I dont know why that makes a difference. I want to know what needs to be done to transfer everything over. Can I just pour in my old water sand and rock and then just add water? Either saltwater or how I usually mix it? Is it not almost exactly like doing a water change?

xtreeme

Will move my tank soon. Plan is use two large Rubber made conatiners. One for rocks other fish. Moving sand will take one more small container.Im moving tank to another spot leaving sand and 1/2" water in it.
Mix new water 20g let sit 24 hours. 8 hours if you use a pump in mix water.
Reuse the tank water. Rock will cycle little if you remove. You can bag the rock under water. Old water in both containers. Siphon water from middle for fish. Rest in rocks.
Set new tank up with sand and 10g mix water. Use water from rock container after rock is close to out of water- place rock in tank use the rock container water. Use most water fish in, place fish in tank use last of water.
You should have 40g now. The tank will do small cycle. The stress of fish will make amonia. After two days or so add last 10g. Mix more water do 10-20% week later.
This is what I plan.

U

usirchchris

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/2668950
wow. okay then trail and error here i come

Why not just keep the 30 running...get the 55 set up seed it with water, sand and rock from your 30...this should shorten your cycle time and then move everything once it is good to go
. Perhaps I missed something...

crypt keeper

I dont want to buy a entire filtration set up for the 55. What I have now will work on the 55 just fine. I dont want a reef tank. I have the upgraded lights for the 55 and a skimmer on the way. I dont want to spend extra cash if not needed. Its a waste.
Im just going to take out my eel and tigger, once he is cured which he is healing great from ick, put them in containers. Take the sand I have in my tank add it in. Pour entire water in tank and add 12 gallons which will be like a water change anyway. Put in my fish, rock, and let that cycle. Then add another 12 gallons in a few weeks and let that cycle. Then do a 25% water change after that and I will be good.
If it doesnt work, I tried.