Just bought a Brain Coral...Please look at it

cuda

Hello all, I just bought a brain coral at my lfs. All they were able to tell me is that it was a brain coral. Does anyone know the scientific name for this one. I would like to do some more research on it. Please also let me know what you think of its condition.
Thanks

P

pa reef pig

Trachyphyllia geoffroyi is the scientific name. Could be a little "meatier". Looks a bit skinny right now. No skeleton is exposed, from what I can tell, so it should be fine. Good luck.

cuda

I got it from Precious Pets and paid 29.99. I thought it was a good deal. Looks healthy

azonic

uhh from what I can see, the skeleton is showing....just hasn't completely portruded through. A lot of brains are like that in LFS, especially open brains like the one you have. Get it under good light and try feeding it once and a while.

cuda

Its on 31 in Trenton. Where are you from and where do you ususlly go. Normally I go to Tropaquarium in Eatontown.

guppie

Nice looking brain, feed it every 3 or 4 days, and good light it will grow real well. Love the color.

A

alti

cuda,
i live a bit farther north. im in bergen county near hackensack.

ags

how big is it? I have been looking at a red open brain that is $35 but have been reluctant due to its size (kinda small 3inches). Someone posted $25-$40 is reasonable.

jonthefb

cery sweet cuda, i feed my little red one a home made frozen food every other day, and he, along with my other corals LOVES it. hes mrs piggy!
good luck
jon

jonthefb

ok, but ya gotta keep it on the d/l
when i make it for the lfs i work at its in larger quantities, but here are the ingredients and feel free to play with them as you like!
frozen mysis shrimp
marine snow
dt's
spirulina flake (or nora, or sea veggies)
freeze dried phytoplankton
seachem's reef plus vitamin and amino acid supplement
fresh squid
fresh tiger shrimp peeled
and a little love.
ive been usign this stuf for 6 months now, and i have seen considerable growth in my corals. i used to feed them only mysis shrimp, but with the rest of the stuff added in, they have a huge variety of foods. i then pour it into small ziploc bags and freeze it in sheets, then whenever you need some, just break off a chunk, thaw in soem tank water, and direct feed with a pipette or turkey baster!
good luck
jon