Just finished moving

lexluethar

I just finished moving my 30 gallon tank a few miles down the road. While I realize that every situation is different and I could have just been extremely lucky, I haven't lost one fish or coral in the move. I wanted to share how I moved with everyone to get some input on what could have been done to make the transition smoother.
1) Bought 4 plastic containers from walmart (5 gallon ones with sealable lids). Although be warned they don't really seal all the way, they just make sure that rocks and critters don't get out, water will still come out at times.
2)Unplug everything (filters, lighting, powerheads, heaters) and place them in a separate container, like a bucket.
3)Start to drain the tank with a pump or syphin, and place the water into the plastic containers, as they fill start placing the tank stuff into the containers. I grouped everything. One container had all fish, one container had my anemone and the rock it was one (along with the clown hosting it). Another container had all LR in it. Then the other container had all my corals in it (i don't have a lot) along with my inverts. Any remaining water (leaving an inch in there) i placed in a 5 gallon water jug so i could save it.
4)After draining most of the water and taking all rocks and livestock out of the tank you are ready to move. I used a moving truck and placed all the containers and fish tank (with LS and about an inch of water remaining) against the side of the truck and placed something against them so they wouldn't shift.
5)After setting up the tank and stand at my new place i started to scoup out the water out of the containers. Obviously leaving enough to cover the rocks and what not. I first placed the LR in the tank first. Then waited about an hour for the dust to settle. Then i arranged them a bit, making sure to at least have my huge base rocks where i wanted them. Waited another hour for the dust to settle them placed my fish in the tank. At that point I started placing the corals in the tank.
As i emptied a container i would place the remaining water in the tank.
It wasn't too bad of a chore, it took in total from draining the tank to refilling it about 4 hours or so. I realize it was summer and i didn't have far to go, so i didn't have to worry about temperatures. But it has been a week and I haven't lost one fish or coral. And my anemones looks great.
Hope this helps someone, and please give me some feedback as I plan on moving again within the year.

michaeltx

congrats on the sucessful move I am sure this will help someone with ideas if they are about to move a short distance,
Mike

C

cmaxwell39

I have done something very similar for short moves as well with great success. The only thing that I did slightly different is mixed up some water for a large water change and did about 60-75% old water and 25-40% new.
Great post though. It explains very clearly a well thought out approach to short moves. Thanks.