Just Got a 150Gal What to make of it? opinions...

1968oldsma

I just purchased a 150gal (72Lx18Dx28H)
i'm very happy about my father inlaw is going to build us a nice stand for it and such but i dont know what i want to do with it right now we have a 55gal fowlr with Firefish,Yellow tang,scooter blenny,Velvet Damsel, and Valentini puffer. I know the Damsel has to go in the 150 cause he gets big i think the yellow tang might make it in there as well.
At any rate i dont know if i want to make the 150 into a Reef or a Fowlr or make the 55 go reef and turn the 150 that way. Does anyone have pics of there 150's also if i were to go reef it's going to get a custom hood and such what should i go for lights? also sump ideas would be great to but thats not a big deal as i have read many posts really on both but i'm not sure how i want to go about it or really what size for that matter. Only thing i really now for know is that i am going to be posting the building process of everything on the board here from building the stand and hood to everything in the tank..should be fun and educational.

dogstar

I dont think it should matter what others think. What matters is what you want and your own reasons for wanting it. A 150g will make a nice FO tank with lots of room for nice large fish but also a great looking reef too.

speg

If you can afford it.. a 150 gallon reef tank would be totallyawesomelyinsanelyomega sweet.. but we all know how expensive these $(*#$)-#$)-*#$)-#$&ing fish are... multiply the cost of a 55 gallon reef tank by 3! (then subtract 15...) I'd personally with my budget do like 50-80 pounds of nice rock, and toss in the really beautiful big fish that you couldnt have with the 55 gallon!
Though.. its your choice ;)

1968oldsma

this tank probably won t be built for maybe another year or so maybe less cost wont be that big of a deal were starting to piece things together already i'm going to custom build a hood and if i find some nice used pieces i have a few thousand dollars set aside already for stuff now we are just going to put things together slow, i'm just curious as to what people would like to build the only thing that is kind of a pain is the tank is very tall and not as deep as i would liike but thats ok i'm already planning how i want the live rock to go. Basically i want a FOWLR my finace wants a Reef so we are going to let the forum decide for us so to speak obviously our check book has the final say but as it stands now i think it is going to be a reef.
Edit: What exactly should i run for lighting what would you guys recommend for size and number of halides, what power and such i'm not sure exactly what i should run also dont i need VHO's actnics as well?

teresaq1

Hi,i am doinf a 150 reef too, am going to run 3 - 250 mh and 260 PC actinic. Taking my satellite pc and retro fitting to my canopy. Good Luck