Just got a larger tank - now what?

cdangel0

LFS going out of business - bought a 92 gal corner display tank complete with Pro Line 125 wet/dry system and 36" compact flourecent lights. Already drilled and plumbed.
Problem is - I am stepping up from a 29 gal tank and don't know what to expect with a tank this large. How many heaters will it need?How long can I expect it to take to cycle (using live rock from other tank)? Will I need to acclimate the fish from the smaller tank to the larger tank before I can put them in? How would I hook up a protein skimmer / UV sterilizer etc? what kind of maintenance will the filter require? etc.....
Any assistance anyone can give it would be greatly appreciated, I realize it was a large jump, but for $500 I just couldn't pass it up.
Thanks,
Craig

mopar9012

the tank will go through a cycle just like any other tank. Nothing un normal about that. I would keep all your livestock in your 29 gallon until the 92 cycles.
have you ever had a skimmer before? is it a hang on skimmer?

cdangel0

Havn't had one before, but was looking in to getting one since I started putting corals in to my 29. I was looking at the sea clone which can either be a hang on or in-sump. Is my filter system considered a sump?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The best advise is: go slow. Go ahead and add the live sand and extra LR that you will need, and then nurture the new system for a month. If all is well during the month, then go ahead and add over your rock from the other tank, then, by the next day, the fish. Be sure to feed your new tank to encourage proliferation of live rock fauna.

rbrockm1

you donate it to me.
WHat ever you want. i will get a bigger tank one day. have fun with it don't get frustrated.