just got a new cleaner wrasse

mr.clownfish

i read online that they clean parasites off of fish. a couple of my fish would go to it and turn to there sides as if they are saying "clean me", but its not doing its job... will it ever start?

ajroc31

Originally Posted by Mr.clownfish
http:///forum/post/3278418
i read online that they clean parasites off of fish. a couple of my fish would go to it and turn to there sides as if they are saying "clean me", but its not doing its job... will it ever start?
Well, if you just added him, then he might not be acclimated yet. They are very sensitive fish. In addition, are jumpers, so cover your tank. I once had one jump about 3 feet out of my tank. If they don't learn to eat regular food, your tank will not able to sustain it for very long, and it will starve. Mine learne dto eat, so he was alive for few years, until his record breaking jump. Using cleaners for biological control of parasites and diseases, it won't work. When ich comes in angry, not much shrimp or wrasses could do. I read somewhere, that they don't even eat parasites, and are more interested in dead cells. Perhaps someone could enlighten us. Oh, my wrasse cleaned only certain fish, and did not care for other, snub. So perhaps he thinks that his tankmates are not deserving of his services. Give it few days, but once he starts cleaning, don't expect it to stop any parasite outbreaks. QT>>>>>>>cleaners.

srfisher17

There are some Red Sea cleaner wrasse on the market that are much hardier than most. You are dead on about the cleaners and parasites. Most ich, and similar parasites, bury themselves into the fish out of range of cleaners. the white spot that is visible is just a protective covering that the ich bug secretes. If a hobbyist wants the cleaners to just watch the action, thats great---but they do little, if anything to clear up a parasite infestation. They can even be harmful by giving folks a false sense of security. If you can see ich spots, the infestation has already gotten to the point where real treatment of all fish in the tank need treatment. My comments may have nothing to do with the OP's question, but my 2 cents anyway.