Just got Live rock and im seeing stuff that idk what it is..

fatmatt

Well im new to Sw just spent $126 on LR it was $9.99 a pound! but it is coverd with purple algea and im starting to see alot of hitchers... but i dont know ahts good whats bad idk know if some of it is coral... so maby u can help me out i tryed takin pics but its very blury so it wont help but theres 1 i do know bristle worm i saw 1 when i was watching the tank then i saw a tubeish like thing on a rock but after i put it in for like 10 mins this read flower like thing came out i couldnt see it well cuz it was in the back of the tank i moved it facein the front so when it comes out i can see then theres 2 or 3 things that look like coral.. not sure it waves with the movment kinda stringy and white i also think theres some feather dusters in there cuz i saw some out wavein with the water then whent to ick the rock up and it pretty much closed but not the other wavey things it stayed as it was so any1 can help me out thx if u want me to i will post the blury pics if u need em

nomad

Go to the New Hobbiest thread and the first thing you will see is "Hitchiker Identification," take a look a that. There is quite a bit of helpful info there.

A

andretti

10 bucks a pound!!!!!!!!! My God, I hate to tell you this but you got TAKEN! Good rock goes for about $4-6 per pound; I ve never seen it over $7. Want to buy some property???

maurice

Originally Posted by Andretti
10 bucks a pound!!!!!!!!! My God, I hate to tell you this but you got TAKEN! Good rock goes for about $4-6 per pound; I ve never seen it over $7. Want to buy some property???

That isn't completly true,it is 7 and up a pound everywhere around me also!

shannonoss

I am in S. Maryland and have only one LFS with a corner on the market, so they charge an arm and a leg also. They are selling Emerald crabs for $11 and clownfish for $30! The live rock is about $7-$8 if I remember correctly. Most of my rock I bought down in VA Beach for about $5 and brought it in.

jer4916

Its supply and demand,...when people are stupid enough to pay larger prices there going to charge it...like here in my town theres a pet store that used to be extremely expensive...then a second shop opened up...charged half price...almost put the other store out of biz...they finally lowered there prices just so they could survive....its all about timing and where you are.
personally i think chargering more is a smart biz choice if your able to do it....but you have to remember to always take care of your customers...other wise they wont be repeats...just one time buyers...and those arn't so great.
~chris