Just got my 46G Bowfront... have some questions...

bigdookie

I have yet to buy the live rock or live sand. Please tell me if my current plan will work.
[list type=decimal][*]Fill tank up with saltwater
[*]Buy uncured liverock and cycle the tank using that
[*]When the tank is cycled, add the live sand substrate
Add clean up crew after substrate has settled
Slowly add fish
[/list type=decimal]
Will my setup work in that order? Also...
Since there will be water displaced when I add the sand and liverock, how many gallons of water should I actually put in the tank? I don't want to be wasteful and have to dump water out as I go...
Can someone recommend an inexpensive RODI unit I can use? I bought a BRITA filter for our tap water, now I have to convince my girlfriend the RODI unit will be a better replacement for the Brita... how can I sell her on that so I can have good water for my fishies?

gio28

you have it pretty much right. but you can add the sand the same time you add the rock to cycle the tank. just fill the tank up half way...add the rock, then the sand, then the rest of the saltwater. Thats what I did. Once the tank is cycled add the CUC. Then you can start adding fish...you shouldn't add more than one at a time unless the fish need to be introduced at the same time (like a mated pair of clowns for example).
I personally don't use RO or RODI water...just tap with a few drops of Amquel+. Some people believe strongly in the use of RO or RODI water and some (like me) don't...cause I have no problems with my tap. But if you plan on buying a unit...thats great.
Just curious...is this a FOWLR or a reef tank you plan to have?
anyways...GOOD LUCK!

speg

Yeah, you'll want to do water(salt) sand/rock all at the same time and let all of that settle (cycle) together. It's not a couple day process but a few weeks.
You should realistically always use ro/di water because you want the best for your little fishies. After testing many people's tap water I would never use anything else for my fish or for myself. This isn't a great hobby to cut corners in.
Good luck.