Just got some mushrooms

sal713

Just got some mushrooms from ---- yesterday. Small red ones with blue dots and a tonga. This morning I woke up and it seems like someone has been nibbling on the tonga. Scarlet,Blue Leg, Zebra crabs? Peppermint shrimp?

turbonikki

my guess would be the peppermint shrimp....i've seen them eat lots of things anemones, polyps,ect. Hope i could be of some help :thinking:
Nikki

sal713

thanks..I did noticed a little brown crab that was a hitchhiker on live rock I got hanging out right next to it. Will they nibble also?

turbonikki

I wouldn't doubt it, speically if its a hitchhiker....but i still wouldn't rule out the peppermint shrimp..they can be little buggers :D
nikki

sal713

I was going to start stocking up on mushrooms and zoos. Will the "regular" crabs or the hermits bother them? The peppermint? What about a C.C. star or a black "spikey" sea urchin?

mmcheeto

Going off week memory but the starfish in question I think is a predetor. Im not sure if that means doomsday for your tank but a little red flag is up......... Hrmm. Reserch is in order. Ill give you alink to this guy in a min

mmcheeto

Agreed

Although I didnt find a link that had any good info. After some reserch I did get the following info
The star will eat polips as well as some other soft corals. On the plus side, it will also eat and meaty foods that fall to the bottom of the tank.
Strange but I assumed that lot more info would be avalable. Sorry hope that helps1

sal713

yes..that does help. There goes another thing out of my tank.
If you can stand another..
These little crabs that have come on my live rock. Some 1/4" in dia. up to 1/2" in dia....Do I have to get rid of these also? They look like basic crabs..brownish red in color.

mmcheeto

Hrmm really doesent narrow it down that much. Is it slightly hairy? Does it look like a typical (emerald crab) but red bodey type? Is one claw bigger than the outher? Does it munch on algie? Aboserve it for about 10 min and tell me what it does. That should narrow it down a little we can get some leads off of.

mmcheeto

THe red crab is a Red Mathrax crab. Its almost same as Emerald crab so no worries. I would keep eye on any coral you may have for a little wile . I have red sometimes they get a little confused and munch on them. Link
http://www.***********.com/product/p...=23&pCatId=628
Still serching on the hermit though. Looks alot like a Zebra harmit that is sold on this site. I will put some more time on it this afternoon and see what can be scrounged up. Here is link
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11...ot_parent_id=4

spline9

Ooh, I didnt know Mithrax Crabs came in a red variety. Those are cool lookin! My Emeralds camoflauge themselves so well against my LR they are practically invisible.
That hermit is cool lookin, too. I had a Strawberry Hermit once, had to take him back to the LFS because he was terrorizing my Sand Sifting Star and a mystery polyp I have on my LR. He was cool lookin, too. :/