Just had a little ich scare...hope it was just a scare..

monalisa

I was staring into my tank just now...go figure...and i noticed that Angelica, my coral beauty angel has a white splotch towards the end of her anal fin, both sides, symmetrical. My heart sank into my shoes thinking that she might have ich. But if she had this, wouldn't it have started at her gills (please tell me that it would). She is out and about, eating like crazy and actually bonding with my female fp clown. Absolutely NO signs of stress. I'm thinking and hoping that this is just something that I hadn't noticed on her before since she's just now out all the time. Please advise and reassure!!
Lisa :happyfish

nicetry

****** (ich) can start anywhere, not just the gills. It could be a couple things. Ich will resemble salt like sprinkles. Another option would be lymphocystis, which looks like a small clumpy growth on the fins. Common in newly imported angels, tangs and butterflies, it should go away on it's own with good diet and water quality.

monalisa

Nicetry,
The spots that I saw did not look salty and did definitely not look clumpy, it just looks like a discoloration. I think I'm just going to keep a close eye on her. *crossing fingers*

puffer32

Has she been rubbing on rocks? My coral beauty is scaring me also, she has been scratching on rocks for days now, but so far no sign of ich, but every time i see her do this, i get that same feeling you are getting. i am going to buy that med kick ick this weekend just to have it on hand.

itchy

Mona Lisa, just for the hell of it soak your food in garlic and add vitamins to the food. This will help boost her immune system and fight the "ich" if indeed that is what it is. My flame will show up with a spot or two here and there but is able to fight it herself with out any invasive treatments. Do you have a cleaner shrimp? I sware by mine as they love to pick the parasites off my fish. Since I have been using garlic, vitamins and cleaner shrimp there have been no more than a spot or two at a time and they tend to show up in the afternoon or evening and gone the next morning. Now if you have a full blown case of ich then you know that HYPO is the answer. Good Luck and keep us posted.
ps. I know I always post to use the garlic and blah blah blah but I sware (knock on wood) it has done wonders in my tank!

puffer32

I use garlic extreme by kent, maybe thats why my cotal beauty is scratching against rocks but has no white spots.

itchy

Sandys, you can use Kents garlic extreme or you can use fresh garlic. If you use fresh garlic put some in a cup with tank water and let it sit for 20 mins or so then strain off the water and add the food for at least another 20 mins or if possible over night in the frig. This helps boost the fishes immunity. Vitamins are another good source!!

yupi1982

:help:
I have a 120 g tank and my domino damisel showed up today with a big white spot on the left side, i am very worry because i dont know if is ich ,and i dont want that my emperor angel or other one of my tank get;s infected....
what do i do??? :happyfish :help:

monalisa

thanks for the responses everybody.
Itchy,
The food that I give my CB angel (Formula 2) has garlic added to it. She loves it and definitely gets plenty of it. She's not been scratching on the rocks at all, and she is out and about all the time. I don't have a cleaner shrimp, and it's my understanding that since I have a coral banded shrimp, other shrimps are out of the question. I'm really thinking and hoping that this is probably something that she's always had, but I didn't notice it sooner because she is just coming out more in the last few days (I just got her last weekend).
Again, thanks everyone. I'll keep a close eye on her and post as I need to.