Just making something clear to myself

ccg24

I can pour LS over my CC, so I don't have to really remove anything,,, I've been told I could and I didn't really think it would be bad as long as I was carefull and not sloppy.... but is that?

S

sinner's girl

you can't or should't add ls on top of cc. the cc will still trap crap and cause problems if you don't clean it (high nitrates). if you have ls and cleaned it you would clean out all the good stuff.
it's a pain, but clean an area of cc very well, then remove it with a net. I've been removing about 3 nets worth of cc each water change and I've been doing water changes weekly/biweekly. I haven't had a problem. Once it's all removed, you can add ls or sand. I'm moving my tank, so I'll take it all down, wipe the rest of the cc out (can't really rinse it when we can't pick up the tank), then add the lr, then sand, then water.

ccg24

cool, thanks for the oppinions, I guess I'll start doin that when I start my next water change which I'll do here soon and remove that pesky undergravel filter...

S

sinner's girl

you have ugf...be very, very, and I mean super careful removing that thing...I sent my established 55gl into a cycle when we removed our ugf, but I didn't know to clean the cc. It's yucky, beyoung yucky under there.
And I mean you have to clean the cc, stay in one area, keep cleaning till the water is clean, move up and down, side to side, you really have to clean it...
but if you remove the cc with the ugf there....I would think that would screw up the ugf, but I'm not sure...

ccg24

well I read in a book that it was recommended for SW and that was pretty much my basic knowledge was all bk but now I have several oppinions from all different people.... especially you I think you give me more advice than anyone... or your just on here alot.... anyway I really don't want to lose anyfish because of this umm could I just remove cc and pieces of ugf in sections and wait then do more then so on and so on then put LS down?