Just thinking of odd aquariums...

kingtriton

Ok so I was just laying in bed trying to fall asleep and was thinking of odd aquariums, and I came up with using an old existing pool. I'm not serious about this was just curious as if to this would work.
Would it be possible to use an old existing pool as a reef aquarium? I mean if everything was cleaned thouroughly and set up properly (I know itd probably take a year or so to set this thing up, not to mention the ammount of money it would take to do such a thing) But would this be possible at all?? Imagine if that would work, you could go snorkeling in your own backyard lol. Like I said I would never do such a thing but was just interesting to think about.

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by KingTriton
http:///forum/post/2972828
Ok so I was just laying in bed trying to fall asleep and was thinking of odd aquariums, and I came up with using an old existing pool. I'm not serious about this was just curious as if to this would work.
Would it be possible to use an old existing pool as a reef aquarium? I mean if everything was cleaned thouroughly and set up properly (I know itd probably take a year or so to set this thing up, not to mention the ammount of money it would take to do such a thing) But would this be possible at all?? Imagine if that would work, you could go snorkeling in your own backyard lol. Like I said I would never do such a thing but was just interesting to think about.
An indoor pool maybe. Not an outdoor above ground lol. Very interesting and expensive idea.

A

alexmir

couldnt be an old pool, theres alot of chlorine thats in the cement/plastic, and would slowly leech back into the reef. pool chlorine would DESTROY inverts.

kingtriton

true, well then Ill shoot for a brand new pool...I suppose with enough money it can be done, basically that is what Sea World does lol...ahh my dreams of winning the lottery

A

alexmir

it could certainly be done, but it would take alot of money!!
the water in the seaworld parks doesnot have to be NEAR as clean as the water in our tanks because the whales and dolphins they keep in those large cement pools are mammals and do not rely on the water to breath like fish anc coral do.

kspops

I think the Clearwater Aquarium was once a boat shop or spa. They have converted it into an aquarium to care for injured dolphins and other fish. A very cool place to check out if in the area. This is where the Dolphin Winter lives now.

E

eric b 125

those things are awesome. i asked a dude that works at the PPG aquarium in pgh how big their skimmers are and he told me some were 12 ft tall. i want to find out who i'll have to talk to in order to get into the room to check them out.

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by Eric B 125
http:///forum/post/2992523
those things are awesome. i asked a dude that works at the PPG aquarium in pgh how big their skimmers are and he told me some were 12 ft tall. i want to find out who i'll have to talk to in order to get into the room to check them out.
12 feet, psh that's nothing. The one on my nano is 15 feet

All joking aside, that's pretty sweet.